Information on the Prostate and Procedures

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm writing this because I think it good information for all men to know.  There was a man on this site that had a UROLIFT.  It worked for for a few weeks and after 3 month's he is back to were he is before. Med also.  Hes doctor told him it did not work because he had a soft prostate.  Being on this site that is the first time I ever heard that.  I try finding some information on it can't find anything.  So I sent a email to my urologist and what he said I think all men should know if they are not aware of it right now.  I am going to write it just the way he sent it to me.It could have not work because he has a median lobe that the doctor was not aware of. Men have different groth phases of the prostate, if you happen to catch the prostate in the middle of a groth cycle it is conceivable that the prostate could grow past the urolift put in but we never know when this is going to happen because all men are different.  Also he may need more implant.  You can have from 4 to 8 it all depands on the size of the prostate.  I thank him every day for be my urologist.  I feel this information it want we all need because information is the key to good health and getting the best treatment we can  Take care all  Ken 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

The growth was a thing that i quesioned here previously.

The with one bound he was free factor:-)

• Posted

I remember that.  I do know the prostate continues to grow even after  any procedure but it a shame that can cause it to fail  Thank again  ken
  • Posted

Thank you, Ken. In addition, on a slightly different topic, I would warn from my personal experience that anyone with enlarged prostate issues should think twice before taking an antihistamine. I suffered bladder convulsions and an inability to urinate as a result of taking an over the counter medication in allergy season. No one had warned me and I only discovered the contraindication on the Mayo Clinic website.   Paul
    • Posted

I agree, Paul. In 2000, I had an accident at sea which impacted my prostate. I was in agony for 3 days before we made landfall. When I eventually got to a hospital the consultan urologist told me never to take antihistamines - (sea sickness tablets included) ever again. I never have done, but my prostate problems didn't go away.

• Posted

Yes, antihistamines are one culprit. Decongestants can be even worse. NSAID's can also give problems. There are others. Always check the side effect profile because doctors often don't warn us, even those with bph, amazing as that is. One of the benefits of CIC is that it doesn't matter. You can take your allergy meds and still empty your bladder completely. Your cath schedule and NVs just may be a little different. 

?Are you keeping a void log? You want to adjust your cath schedule so that your bladder volume is under 400ml whenever possible. That would be the sum of your cath volume plus any natural void preceding it. You should also try a natural void before cathing if possible. 

Jim

• Posted

Yes that is a very good idea.  It is also good to check any meds that you are giving to see if the will not mix with any other meds that you are taking.  Sometime doctor do miss that.  They are human like the rest of us.  Get all the information you can from the internet or even ask your pharmacist they can tell you alot about the pills you are taking.  If there is something that you feel that it will not be good for you to take call your doctor.  Take care all  Ken
    • Posted

Yes, I do as much natural voiding as I can (not much) but don't keep a log. At least three years with this BPH issue has caused me to reduce my liquid intake quite a bit and so I don't really have to worry about volume being above 400. I stay alert to the natural output before and between cathetering, however, as a sign that anything of the alternative stuff I am trying (home-made alcohol-infused sawpalmetto, bee pollen, tilted bed, whole plant food diet, exercise, etc.) is working. So far nothing other than possibly maintaining the status quo. I'll be sure to let the world know should I luck into something. Hey, I lucked into you guys!    Paul

• Posted

It could have not work because he has a median lobe that the doctor was not aware of. 

----------------

Thanks Ken for the info. I just hope your doctor is wrong because if they did a Urolift without checking/being aware of a median lobe then that is very sad and negligent.

Jim

• Posted

What my doctor thinks is that he did not have a large median lobe when the doctor did it so he missed it and with in 3 months it got bigger.  Because it worked for 3 weeks and they stopped. I think the doctyor did not put in enough implates.  I don't know if you remember Chuck.  He had his right after I had mine.  He had 4 put in.  It worked for a few month's and then it stopped  6 to 8 month's later he had 4 more put in and he was great after.   I would change doctors how can you miss that. My doctor have done the urolift on men that have a smaller median lobe and just pulled it to the one side.   He said it can be done but not on a very large lobe.  That would have to be removed to open you up.  I have never heard of a soft prostate.  Take it easy  Ken  

• Posted

Surprised a median lobe would grow that much in 3 months, maybe your doc was just being polite smile FWIW a normal prostate is "soft" and they tend to harden with BPH. Don't know the experience level of his doc, but with these new procedures there will be lots of docs doing them without much experience. 

Jim

• Posted

Yes I think he did not want to say anything bad aganist the other doctor.  Yes the prostatte is soft to a pointe but the shell is harder.  That is why you can put the implant on them.  What I also think is some doctor are going to do more miss diagnose surgery where when they go in they fined that they do not need to do it but do it anyway.  Thats a shame  Later my friend  Ken
    • Posted

The word used for my prostate years ago was "Boggy"

• Posted

That's a new one.  Never heard it called that before.  Have a nice day  Ken

• Posted

I've seen that term used to mean inflamed or infected as in prostatitis. 

• Posted

FWIW, I came across a legit medical site that advised pure cranberry juice for us types as an infection preventative (not a cure according to my urologist) since bacteria cannot live in an acidic environment. By the same token minimize the orange juice as it is alkaline - a perfect environment.

Today I had confirmation for the efficacy of size 14 over 12. The latter had been fine for this my first week of personal plumbing until this morning when it wouldn't pass into the bladder. Came back with blood inside. Tried afresh, more blood. Rather than impale myself further, I went to my local clinic where we had a go with a 14. This time success.   Cheers, Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul,

The literature is mixed regarding acidic environment versus alkaline with the newer papers recommending alkaline. Very confusing.

Yes, going to a larger size is one recommended protocol when you can't pass the bladder. Alternatively, technique wise, you can try different things such as focused relaxation, coughing, or a VERY SUBTLE AND GENTLE twisting at the bladder sphincter. You don't twist very far. More recommendations elsewhere in thread. 

What catheter are you using? Coude or straight? Different catheters have different characteristics including rigidity. For example, I cannot use a red rubber 12 (too flexible) but the Coloplast Speedicath 12 works fine. 

Glad the 14 worked out for you. I have both 12's and 14's at home. I started with 14 but now use the 12s. I still keep some 14's just in case.

Jim

• Posted

Paul,

Just want to add that some blood for the first several weeks is normal. Not to worry.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.