Infrared light treatments?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was wondering if any of you had this? I had both my pomeranian pups knees done in February and he got the light treatment. He had both knees totally redone and he healed and recovered very quickly. I was bringing him for the light treatments 2x week. I thought why aren't I getting this ? I am going to ask my doctor about this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Suzie,

Thanks for your post. You bring up an excellent point about light as a therapy for injuries. It is inquisitive patients like you that still give me hope that treatment innovation will continue to progress as interest in alternative/complementary options grows.

Isn't if funny how sometimes our pets get more innovative complementary treatment options than we do?

Yes, I've heard about and studied infrared and red light therapy (just search Internet to learn more). It has been shown to be amazingly effective for muscle and tissue ailments of all kinds-- demonstrating increased healing times.

Light therapy has a number of healing effects, including increasing circulation to damaged parts, and especially, sending energy to our bodies little powerhouses- the mitochondria in each cell. Mitochondria do many things (we are only now beginning to understand their contribution to our overall health) but primarily they furnish cellular energy that is used in any activity in body-- from biochemical reactions to muscle movement.

Infrared and red light energy beams shining on skin is actually taken up by tissue cells (these light waves can travel quite deep into tissue due to their wavelengths) and mitochondria are able to use this light energy to 'supercharge' their energy production. More energy = faster and better recovery. Sick patients are often compromised in body energy-- hence fatigue and slow healing rates.

Best of all light therapy is cheap and above all has no harmful effects like surgery and drugs (but it won't of course replace surgery for broken bones if needed). The only caveat is to avoid overexposure to some powerful infrared or red lamps (some wavelengths can damage eyes if overexposed-- read any precaution statements that come with devices).

Infrared and red light lamps are widely available online and in retail stores. They don't require a prescription or doctor's order to use. They also sell infrared emitting (no lights) mats to lie on or wrap a body part. And of course everyone has heard of infrared saunas.

I have been using red LED therapy as an adjunct to my ankle regimen. I believe it helps.

Thanks again for mentioning this. Patients just don't realize that there is an arsenal of supplementary and complementary treatment options-- there is a lot more than surgery, drugs, and physical therapy available for people who are dead-set on getting well by any safe and effective means.

• Posted

Thank you for your very knowledgeable reply. I was not aware that this is something I could possibly buy myself. I just know that my pom had this and just assumed it must be standard practice for us. I will be checking out where I can purchase it. Thanks!
  • Posted

Suzie,

Glad to provide some info in response to your post.

I should also mention cold laser as a treatment too. Also known as LLLT, or low level laser therapy, it is also used for treating pain and ailments on both humans and animals. Likely they used this on your pet. You can buy small versions of this device, or take treatment at clinics and chiropractors offices that offer this therapy.

Red (and other colors) LED light array panels can also be purchased for home use and be used for beauty and skin regimens.

Good luck in your further adventures with light therapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.