Infusion or Supplements

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just recently, I was diagnosed as anemic. I was put on two iron supplements a day. Since getting my other blood work back, we discovered that me ferritin level was extremely low (3). My doctor wanted to put me on 4 iron supplements a day, but was afraid it would make me constantly nauseous. So, I'm still on 2 supplements a day. I get my blood rechecked in 3 weeks. My physical symptoms include rapid/irregular heart beat, heart palpitations, frequent headaches, shakiness, dizziness, CONSTANTLY tired, eating ice, blue tint of sclera, and always cold. Apart from these, I'm suffering from neurological symptoms as well, including anxiety, depression, irritability, being emotional, and unable to focus. It's really affecting my everyday life. I'm constantly keeping to myself my anxiety because its humiliating tome for whatever reason. It's affecting my grades in school and my performance in sports. My doctor told me to be patient with the pills because it could take up to 6 months for me to return to normal. I've heard about the iron infusions, but insurance won't cover it unless we prove that the pills aren't working well enough. My question is what level of ferritin do you need to qualify for an iron infusion? What about a blood transfusion? I only ask because I know that these treatment options can make you feel better within days, and I don't think I will make it 6 months feeling like this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I was also anemic for several months. It's awful! I had every symptom that you are having. The iron supplements did mot make me sick. I guess I was lucky. I took a brand from the health food store. " Body builder" Very natural. I am not sure that iron infusions are the answer. Seems like they can make you feel sick. I had 2 blood transfusions but that my hemoglobin was 5. Dangerously low. I had lost a lot of blood due to the flu. A long story. You will feel progressivemy better. You may want a low dose of non addictive aunty anxiety meds. Busbar was what I took. Things will get better. Hand in there, Karen

• Posted

I personally think you should have had an infusion with those symptoms. I had every one of them. And hair thinning too. It makes the leveks rise quicker. Felt fine after my infusion 2 weeks ago. Just beginning to feel benefits now. My ferritin levels were extremely low too. Also having b12 injection this week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.