ingrowing toenail and no pain relief given

Posted , 2 users are following.

My sons girlfriend went along to the local private chiropodist yesterday about her painfull ingrowing toe nail, not sure what he did but she was in tears with the pain as he gave no pain relief at all, arnt they supposed to give an injection beforehand? he cut into her at the side and attempted to pull out nail by what she was telling me, this morning still very painfull red and swollen and she has had to go back like 10 minutes ago. apparently it was going to cost her £300 to get an injection! , she works as a nurse.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That sounds absolutely outrageous.

When I had a problem, I went to my GP and he referred me to the Podiatrist at the local hospital.  We can now refer ourselves - for procedures like this

I hope she hasn't got an infection in it now - perhaps she should go to her GP instead.

• Posted

Well yes i think she has now, second visit and still no pain relief, probing her about and then said ill have to change my glasses half way through! now looking poisnous and still swollen and red, she cant get her shoes on so cant go to work now. by the way it wasnt £300 for pain relief it was £200 but still outraeous all the same as you say. She has asked if her gp will leave her some antibiotics without seeing them. she couldnt wait to see the NHS chiropodist as a three month wait!  didnt know you could refer yourselfe. Also has the original accident on her foot was at work cant she claim consempation?
    • Posted

If her toe is infected, then the GP ought to give her drugs to clear up the infection, then refer her as an urgent case.  Some GPs' sugeries do this sort of procedure themselves.

The self referral might be only available in Wales.  The wait is quite short and the Podiatrist I saw, told me to tell the receptionist that my toe is infected [if it is] and I would be seen within a few days.

• Posted

If her toe is infected, then the GP ought to give her drugs to clear up the infection, then refer her as an urgent case.  Some GPs' sugeries do this sort of procedure themselves.

The self referral might be only available in Wales.  The wait is quite short and the Podiatrist I saw, told me to tell the receptionist that my toe is infected [if it is] and I would be seen within a few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.