Ingrown Toenail and CRPS/RSD

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to know if anyone has went through this before with having RSD/CRPS , my son got an ingrown toenail and it got infected and I took him to the doctor because we wanted to see what could be done in order to not have to cut the ingrown part out since he has just now gotten to the point where he can walk again and isn't in as much pain I didn't want him to relapse to full blown RSD/CRPS. Has anyone dealt with having an ingrown toenail that got infected and was put on a strong antibiotic for the infection  and his toenail had started to grow out to where it's not infected but at the side of his toenail it kind of looks like a callus or corn but everytime I try to help to get rid of that with soaking and just slightly filing a little to try to get rid of it, because I think once that's gone his toe will feel so much better it will start bleeding all over again. It's starting to look red again and I don't want to have to take him to a Podiatrist because since people don't know what it is and how it effects you they are prone to not even try to be easy when doing an exam and I don't wanna put him through it . does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be done in order to make this toe heal up ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I too suffer with ingrowns on both of my big toes. I used to go and get pedicures and my favorite nail lady would take care of them and all would be well. When I was diagnosed with RSD I my pain in my foot and toes on left leg could no longer tolerate the bubbly water or her touch. Because my toes are numb I don't feel when they get bad. My podiatrist recommended that he remove the toe nail in such a way that when the nail grew back it would not have any further ingrowns. He said it would take a couple weeks of daily soaking of the toe and then a light bandage and open toe shoes. My aunt had this done and wished she had done it long ago.

Hope this helps!🙂

• Posted

Christy,

Hi, and thanks for your reply in this discussion, the problem with the whole getting the toenail too care of is where we are from it's hard to find a doctor that even knows what RSD is and their not easy when I have taken him to a doctor before we found one that actually knows what it is and my main thing about taking care of it is that I know if they don't treat him in a certain way I was afraid that I would cause him to have a bad flare up with his RSD that's why I posted on here in hopes that someone knew how to solve the problem without putting him through much. I would fix it myself if it weren't for the RSD I used to have ingrown toenails all the time and I took care of my own but he's still so sensitive that I've done good to treat them. He soaks his feet with Epsom Salt and I have an Antibiotic cream that I have been applying to his toe and a lite bandage to it and he even took a strong antibiotic by mouth for 10 days to help with infection but he has finished with the antibiotic a while back and his toenail looks good but on the skin side of things it kinda looks like a callous on the side of his toe right along the toenail but it will get hard and then after he soaks his feet it will be softer like skin and anytime we have tried to get rid of that it starts to bleed and when I say bleed it really bleeds so that's what's so confusing to me because I think if we could solve that problem his toe would be fine. Have you actually had the toenail removed to see if it would help you ? My son's feet are weird sometimes he can't feel much and sometimes it will be like they're over sensitive it's really crazy to see how this works on him and he will be really antsy in his movements and things. Any information you get or have on this is appreciated and I thank you for it. God bless you.

• Posted

Hello,

I have not had an ingrown toenail but I have/do have severe pain in my big toe to the point my toenail hurts to be on it. It got so bad about a month ago I cut my big toenail as close to off as I could. The nail was very thick and hard and discolored.

Hope your son feels better

• Posted

Ukila,

Thanks for your comment, it just freaks me out because I have always had problems with ingrown toenails, but I hate for him to go through this because I know any little thing can trigger his RSD. I hate that he has to go through this all children are so innocent and fragile and they shouldn't have to go through all the pain associated with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.