Inguinal Hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have surgery tomorrow morning to repair an Inguinal Hernia on my right side. This has been causing severe sharp pain, so I have no choice but to just get it done. This last week the left side has actually been hurting too. Not the same kind of pain, but kind of a dull pain that comes and goes. I asked the surgeon about it and he said he didn't feel anything and thinks it could be nerve pain from my other side. I don't want to get surgery tomorrow just to have surgery again. Will he be able to tell if I have another one once he starts the operation, or am I pretty much just screwed if I do have another one and have to get surgery done again? This will be an open surgery by the way.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you're having keyhole surgery, the standard protocol is for the surgeon to visually check the opposite area for a possible hernia, since it is very common to have bilateral hernias, especially with the other side being too small to show up during an exam. Ask your surgeon if he or she will do that.

Good luck, I had bilateral hernia repair and was playing golf within 3 weeks

• Posted

Thanks for the comment. I had open surgery, so he didn't check both sides but he did another check this morning before the surgery and said he didn't feel anything again and said it's not likely to have a double without feeling it. I hope to be back to golfing that soon along with running and basketball as soon as possible.

• Posted

I think from what you describe, the doctor is probably right. If he can't feel it, there's a good chance it's not there. I also don't think that he'll be able to look at the left side when you're opened up. I think the left side is a whole different ball game. 

I too had an open surgery with mesh, 4.5 yrs ago, and everythings been fine since. Things are going to be a little rough for a couple of weeks, especially the first week. but they get better each day. Good luck with it.

• Posted

The surgery went well. Thanks for the comment. I'm a little numb down there which sucks. I'm assuming this is pretty common?? I guess it better than pain, but being numb down there is concerning if you know what I mean.

• Posted

Thank you. He checked again before the surgery and said he doesn't feel anything at all and doubts I have one. If I'm still concerned at my follow up appointment he will schedule an ultrasound to make sure, but doesn't think it's necessary. I'm glad to hear it went well for you. It seems like more people have good results than bad.

• Posted

Good luck with the surgery. It's been a year since double inguinal -- still some residual effects but I'm sure the surgeon will do the right thing by you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.