Inguinal hernia - no surgery planned - advice needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia.

My doctor however says that it is not serious enough to warrant an operation. I am not too unhappy with that as I was dreading the procedure.

However I would be very grateful to learn of anything I should really refrain from until and unless I do have a successful procedure.

My doctor mentioned was to avoid lifting lifting, but I would really like to know whether I should avoid everyday activities.

My biggest anxiety surrounds sexual activity - I appreciate I probably need to take care but how concerned should I be?

What about sport? I play a bit of golf - should I be?

Thanks for any advice!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do not get the surgery unless you 100% need it. And do not let them use mesh if you do have the surgery!

• Posted

Glad to hear about the golf.

And the other, er, athletic pursuit?

• Posted

I'd say stop if it hurts! My doctor said I wouldn't do more damage than I had done already when I had mine, as long as I didn't do anything extreme (eg lifting heavy objects, etc.). And as for the mesh (see previous posting), if you and/or your doctor do decide you need the surgery, look into the pros and cons carefully. The vast majority of mesh repairs do not result in problems, but there are some that do. Check the stats before deciding.

• Posted

Thanks again, Clive. "Stop if it hurts" seems good advice all round.

Noted your comments re: mesh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.