Inguinal hernia operation pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it normal to have excruciating pain the day after having a hernia op?  That pain, which was like having salt in a cut took over my body,I can usually stand a lot of pain, but that was on the 9-10 register. Now on my 5 th day and still experiencing sharp stabbing pain in my groin. Can anyone help by telling me their post op experiences please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They say its inflamation and to wait up to 6 months for it all to go down, However thats kind of how all my problems began, If it doent let up start to alert your Dr Because God knows it may take a long time before someone will listen. I hope its just a matter of post op swelling.
    • Posted

yes, I hope, as you say, it's only post op pain. I'm touching wood when I say that today I am feeling a lot easier, well until later this evening when I usually feel tired, and the pain starts up again. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

No, I do not think so. Not that much pain. Your nerves could have been damaged. I am still having burning pain since my last hernia repair (I have had problems with mesh and nerve damage) and that was 6 months ago.

If you have seen any of my previous posts you would have some idea just what I have gone through.

I hope your pain settles down soon and you have no ongoing problems. Contact your surgeon for an assessment. Good luck.

Adele

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I can only just wait and hope that every day it will feel better. Am due to see my surgeon in 2 weeks time.
    • Posted

Yesterday I woke and found I had a large hard lump along my operation cut. Went to the hospital where I had my operation and was told it was a hematoma and have an appointment to see my surgeon next Tuesday. The pain seams to be less each day thankfully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.