Inguinal hernia recovery.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I had my inguinal hernia open mesh repair done a eek ago and I still can't stand for more than a minute without unbearable pain and needing to sit back down again to rest it. Should I go back to the doctors now or leave it a little longer? Is this normal?

Many thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I would go back to the docs. That's not normal. I had various aches, pains and twinges for several weeks/months but nothing that stopped me standing or getting on with life after the first day or so.

• Posted

Bugger... this is my second opp and he first one was totally fine alas I was 20 at the time but I don't remember anything this bad. Can't really straighten out my leg either. Ok I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

• Posted

Hello Terry, I have had a hard time recovering from the same thing and quite alike the way you're describing yours. Hope you are safe and things just get normal. Unfortunately I've experimented the worst and few got credit to my pain. After 3 years pain still limits my life to absolute dependence from others. Unbelievably I can't carry over 3 kilos or can't walk long distances, any physical activities results in a sharp and continuous pain on the site till the next morning it gets a better. That's how I've spent my days after the surgery. Docs prescribe medicines but that doesn't seem to fix the situation. Three years have passed and my life has changed a lot, the journey is way different now. One thing I discovered this week is that after a couple of minutes by rubbing ice on the site, a pinpoint pain reveals under the scar tissue, I told the doctor yesterday and he believes that it is a nerve trapped on the sewing of the mesh or fibrosis pressing a nerve. He will open it next Monday to find out. All my prayers. Best luck for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.