Inguinal hernia repair 6 weeks ago.. Did it recur?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had inguinal hernia surgery 6 weeks ago (laproscopic with mesh) and recovery was going well.. almost no pain or discomfort anymore, was easing back into exercise, was starting to trust the muscles again, etc.

Then I got a sinus infection and was coughing and blowing my nose quite a bit. When blowing my nose while laying on my stomach, I got a really bad sharp sudden pain in the hernia area. That intense pain faded away over a few minutes, but since then, I've been experiencing intermittent pain that feels very similar to the pain I had before surgery, aggravated especially by certain movements. This has been ongoing for a week or so.

Should I be worried that the hernia might have recurred, or could it be just a more minor setback? Despite my hernia being large, there was never really a noticeable bulge, so not finding one now isn't especially reassuring.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

And a quick follow-up question.. if I did want to check with a doctor about recurrence, how would I even do that?

With this hernia, it was barely noticeable to the doctor with palpation, and he was surprised at how much pain I was in prior to surgery and how big it turned out to be when he performed the surgery. My worry is that just going into the doctor for a follow-up exam won't reveal much about what happened with this setback.

• Posted

To be on the safe side ....Call your doctor tell them about the coughing and you may need to go in for a check up. Hopefully it's only muscles in tummy. It's very painful as I remember been awhile .Take it easy and hopefully it will settle down. 

Healing blessings sent your way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.