inguinal hernia repair

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am only on day 3 after surgery and I am sore in the area and know that is common, and also the area of surgery is numb  which I understand is common also but what I was wondering is how long will this numbness occur, will it be something goes away completely , or partially and how long does it take to go away on average.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Should go away quickly, after 5 days you should be mobile and pain free but look after yourself and don’t go crazy 
    • Posted

Thanks Mike , I'm staying at home and are retired so I can recover at home and not do anything strenuous , but looking forward to getting back on the treadmill and stationary bike.

• Posted

Going to have mines soon but will like to know if is safe to do some half pushups and light exercise after you feel normal again? 
    • Posted

Hi papote,  I think each case is different but in the paperwork my surgeon gave me it says avoid strenuous activity such as biking, jogging, weight lifting, or aerobic exercise until your doctor says it is okay, so that would be a question to ask him, also it says to walk each day because that increases blood flow.
    • Posted

Thanks Marvin, I can wait as long as I can walk to stay active. ;-)
  • Posted

Nine years after my op, I still have some numbness below the cut.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks after surgery and still numb but in a smaller area closer to the penis.  The scar itself is still numb but that has been the case with my other surgeries. 
  • Posted

I have had so much pain and discomfort with my hernia and it's not very good at all I can hardly eat and drink any thing it makes me so sick to my stomach plus I have acid reflux disease very bad and I'm not feeling good at all I've been very sick with a hiatal hernia

• Posted

I believe you have a hiatal hernia, which is different and mostly seen when you have reflux.  I have reflux as well but no HH. ;-)
  • Posted

I had my mesh repair 2 years ago. I still have some numbness which will obviously never go. It's not a big problem. I had some pain for weeks after the op and I still have aches which come and go. Many have had similar problems with mesh repair and it depends so much on the surgeon. I think my surgeon was only average and I had no pain at all before the op. So be prepared as it may take months to settle.

• Posted

You'll be fine Im sure Marvin.  After day 4 start moving about and get a walk in.  No more than a couple of miles for the next couple of weeks I would suggest.  Week 6 should be hugely different and maybe start lifting properly again.  Listen y=to your body. Good luck.  Week 8 for me and 70% back to full fittness.  

• Posted

Thanks littlebylittle , I’m on day 15 and it feels better , I’ve gone from getting out of bed very slowly to basically normal , and I walk about 1.5 miles a day, there is maybe 3 or 4 times a day the odd sharp pain like just a half second and it’s gone and things used to tighten up if I walked too much but that has stopped and the numbness is still there but according to other people it may never go away but I can live with it, I will wait until week 6 at least before I do any lifting more than a grocery bag , thanks again.
  • Posted

Every day gets better. Some times ( if you haven't experienced yet) it will feel like you tore open the repair again , but the pain will pass and things will get better. Don't push yourself too hard. You'll be able to find your boundaries. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the advice ctrix1, please read my reply to littlebylittle. I’m retired so I really don’t have to push myself at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.