Inguinal hernia repair. Laparoscopic or Open??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a direct inguinal hernia. I had one on the other side 20 years ago and had an open repair under local anesthesia and with mesh. It worked out well but recovery took 6-8 weeks and the post-op period was painful. I was in bed for a couple of days with an ice pack on my groin. Now I have to have the other side done with a new surgeon, who is promoting the laparoscopic repair. It's attractive from the standpoint of quick recovery but requires general anesthesia and the instrumentation actually goes inside the abdominal cavity, which I find a bit scary. Opinions from anyone who has had this done would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Be careful with mesh! 6-8% end up with chronic pain. I just had mine removed after bring in bed for 3 months. The safest method is lapro tissue repair. Good luck

• Posted

I had laparoscopic surgery with mesh for mine last year and have had no problems since. Recovery was a few weeks, but the only "after-effect" is a small bulge in the middle of my tummy where the incision for the instruments was made. A tad unsightly, but not very obvious and not something I would consider serious.

• Posted

Hello,

I had a direct hernia fixed in feb under General and open procedure

My surgeon said open was better due to he could secure the mesh better and could suture it into place better

My experience was the same 6 to 8 weeks recover .

My one side feels amazing and wouldn't hesitate for same surgeon and same method

I think lapo would be a great option if one had two hernias both sides

I dont know if this helps ! Best of luck and let us know what you decide !

Getting knocked out is like a dr doing an oil change for a mechanic !

• Posted

Hi Blues,

Thanks for writing and glad all is going well for you. I have heard pros and cons of both procedures. Some say not to use mesh at all, ----- a lot to consider.

Best wishes,

Fred

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.