Inguinal hernia repair scrotal swelling concerns

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had laparascopic inguinal hernia repair with mesh 1 week ago on my right side. Everything seems to have went well, I don't have any pain and my wounds aren't infected, just discomfort in the testicle.

Now I went back to the hospital because I thought I had torsion, as my left testicle seemed to become really tight and I felt nauseous all of a sudden as it happened.

The doctor said everything was fine and the fluid may have just moved around in an uncomfortable way. As it stands now my right testicle is very swollen, to the same size as the hernia was(about the size of a tennis ball) , the doctor said the swelling or fluid should hopefully go down in a couple weeks "but sometimes it doesn't go away, at least the hernia is gone though".

That has really upset me, because if the swelling never goes down I would have preferred to keep the hernia, because at least it could be pushed back into my abdomen when it became too uncomfortable. This fluid or swelling cannot go anywhere and just leaves a heavy feeling in my scrotum constantly, I can't feel where the testicle is so I assume it's fully engulfed in fluid.

I know it's only been 7 days, but the swelling hasn't even gone slightly down in this time. Does anybody have a similar experience to this? I'm just worried I had surgery for no reason if it's actually worse than the hernia itself.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Been 2 weeks now and still my scrotum is swollen and firm. No pain or discolouring/bruising.

If it stays like this forever it was honestly better having the hernia. I will wait until my 6 weeks of recovery at up before I go back to the doctor to see if anything can be done, such as draining fluid.

• Posted

How are you doing DeezNutz? Any sign of improvement?

I had testicular pain after my inguinal surgery. Unlike yourself, I had only slight swelling but one testicle was hanging much lower and very painful. I read up about it and it's common to have testicular pain due to bruising. However, with this surgery there is a chance of testicular torsion. Basically, the testicle gets starved of blood and this kills it, resulting in the ball having to be removed (orchiectomy) ouch!

Anyway, despite it being a complication of his surgery, my surgeon wouldn't see me and I was told to go to my GP or A&E. (Not impressed!).

I arranged to a have an ultrasound done privately to check if the blood was flowing ok and it was. That was a relief. After a few more weeks the pain faded away.

I read an article in a medical journal where they recommended monitoring for testicular pain after inguinal hernia surgery so that testicular torsion could be addressed quickly. I think surgeons should take this more seriously. Wouldn't they be more attentive if it was their nuts? 😉

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you so that you are aware of the potential complication. Hope it is just bruising for you as it was for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.