Inguinal Hernia surgery anxiety..HELP!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, new to these boards and just seeking peace of mind and a calm heart. I’m 23, diagnosed with a left inguinal hernia and am getting surgery in 5 days. I’ve never had surgery, and this is where the fear comes in..I did The one thing you probably shouldn’t do and went ahead googling stuff about surgery and now I’m terrified that i have a big chance of waking up during the surgery and not being able to move or let them know I’m awake. I have clinical anxiety and depression and this has been snowballing and now I’m in full on panic mode about this. I need some comfort. I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago and was put under anesthesia and remember waking up will they were operating and it was a terrible experience. Please, any kind words or help would be greatfully appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jesse2798,

you will be fine, everybody feels anxious before an op, are you having open surgery or keyhole?

You can get a local for open surgery.

Nice big deep breaths and nice calming thought.

• Posted

It is laproscopic I believe! Thank you so much for The kind words, working on the breathing as we speak! Ha!
  • Posted

Pretty sure you'll be OK.

I also woke up from sedation during wisdom teeth extraction, but have never awakened during surgery. Unlike your wisdom teeth extractionn, where it's just you and the dentist and a dental assistant, during your hernia repair you'll have a doctor (an anesthiologist) dedicated to monitoring your vitals and keeping you sedated.

I think the internet stories about awakening during are just that - "stories"

One word of advice. I get pretty anxious before surgeries too, and what helps me is to inform the nurses about my anxiety at the very beginning of the pre-op, and always got some "feel good" meds that made me worry free.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much sir. I will probably not hold back any of my worries from them! 😂 just stuff like people telling me alcohol consumption (in general) effects your reaction to anesthesia scares me too. I’m 23 and since I turned 21 I’ve had my fair share of heavy drinking (socially) now it’s one a week and some on the weekend (sometimes I get drunk but not throw up or hangover drunk) 

• Posted

You will be fine. Just enjoy the deep sleep as I have done about twelve times now.
    • Posted

Deep sleep does sound very good..I will admit. Thank you.
  • Posted

The surgery itself should be the least of your worries!  Best sleep of your life!  Switch your focus to preparing to heal - be careful taking the pain meds afterwards. You DONT want constipation!! Drink lots of water and use stool softeners! The stories (good and bad) about the recovery process  are all over the board - there are NO horrible stories about the surgery itself. Relax! And good luck! 
    • Posted

You’re right I’m probably going to do some pre-shopping this weekend to make sure I got what I need. I’ve been so hung up on the surgery that I haven’t even taken into account that I have the after to deal with. Haha. Thank you for the kind words. You all have been awesome and have helped immensly.
  • Posted

Hi

i have had four General operations and never once woke during surgery. At the time they put the drip in your hand your gone, no pain and then you wake up in recovery. I get scared every time and can only advise to say you’ll be fine. They are used to people like us worrying and have a great deal of experience.

Dont worry your lol be fine. Stay away from Goggle 

steve 

• Posted

how's it going? I was wondering if there's any update on this? How was the experience? Was it a lot less nerve racking than you thought? Did you tell the doctors about your anxiety issues? I'm going to the doctors tmrw to most likely confirm that I have an inguinal hernia as well and ever since I've discovered this lump I've been freaking out about it and surgery my anxiety is litterly through the roof. Please help and please respond to how it was!

Chris

• Posted

how's it going? I was wondering if there's any update on this? How was the experience? Was it a lot less nerve racking than you thought? Did you tell the doctors about your anxiety issues? I'm going to the doctors tmrw to most likely confirm that I have an inguinal hernia as well and ever since I've discovered this lump I've been freaking out about it and surgery my anxiety is litterly through the roof. Please help and please respond to how it was!

Chris

• Posted

Hi Jesse,

I am going in for an inguinal hernia in the New Year and am, also, scared witless - having never had abdominal surgery before. However, I am 81 years of age, so it is extra scary/risky for me! Seeing the pre-op nurse next week.

How did your op go and what tips do you have, please, Jesse?

• Posted

P.S. Meant to say - mine is proposed to be an Open surgery op! So any advice/help on the healing process would be appreciated. Sleepless lady at moment!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.