Inhaler affects my vocal chords

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all,  I've been an asthmatic for over 40 years.  For the last I don't know how long (15 - 20 years) I've been taking Symbicort with a very occasional burst of Ventolin (maybe once a month).  Symbicort once or twice a day has been perfect for many years.  No side effects whatsoever.  Now, over the past 12 months or so, I've been losing my voice when I take the Symbicort, maybe a couple of hours after, and it's lasted all day.  Have spoken to my GP and she changed my inhaler to Fluticasone (Seretide), same effect, then to Flutiform, again same effect. During this time, my use of Ventolin has sky-rocketed. GP is thinking that there's an active ingredient in there somewhere that's the culprit.  Have any of you had this experience?  And if so, have you solved the problem, and what are you taking now?  My job entails answering the phone and it's a real pain to try to recover at least some voice to be able to speak.  Any help appreciated.  Cheers

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Both Seretide and Flutiform have fluticasone as the ICS.  I am suspecting that as the more likely culprit than the LABA.  You could try beclomethasone ICS and the same formoterol LABA you always took.  So that would indicate Fostair.

Personally I found beclomethasone more effective per gram than fluticasone which may explain the Ventolin uptick.  Always titrate the dose down to the minimum needed for maintenance.  And FYI I found a study a decade ago that supports my theory (that becl. is more effective)

Or, you could simply have a throat infection that is aggravating the asthma and causing hoarseness.

• Posted

Actually infection makes no sense, if you have been having this for 12 months.  Odd you would suddenly get sensitive.  Maybe have some blood tests and see if anything else is going on?  Sorry out of ideas.  Anyone else?
  • Posted

Hi Robert

Also a long-term user of Symbicort 2 x 2 daily, I wondered if you religiously swilled out your mouth and throat witih water after your doses?   I understand that there can be a detrimental knock-on effect of using these type of drugs if this is not undertaken.   

Is there anything to see in your mouth/throat?   Lichen Planus can also develop but I would have through that this would have been picked up by your doctor as it is visisble - it would show in your mouth, throat and tongue.

As your job is dependent on your voice why not consider revisiting your doctor and asking for further help?

Hoping you can gain some help.

Regards

• Posted

sorry I haven't tried the meds you are on but ventolin. I like being on the meds that work for me and don't really like trying new  meds unless I have to. But it does sound like there is something in the inhalers that bother you. Good luck at finding a medicine that works for you . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.