Inhaler change - exercise induced asthma

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been running for a few years and was given a ventolin inhaler a couple of years ago to help with coughing and wheezing during and after running. Using this before running, and very occasionally during or after a long run, has helped to control this. I don't have symptoms at any other times. I use it usually between 2-4 times a week, depending on when I run..

I've seen the asthma nurse recently for a review while requesting a new inhaler and I've been given a new brown preventer inhaler to use with the ventolin. I'm doing as instructed until I see the nurse again but I don't understand why this is bring changed when I've been fine with just one? I'm not keen on using another one unless I really need to. My peak flow was 400, and previously it was slightly higher but not by much, but she suggested we try this anyway to see what happens.

Is it normal to use a preventer when the asthma is only running related? Is there a reason why you'd change from just using ventolin?

TIA

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi from a 5K plodding runner!

Excellent question -

I had high pollen count plus rape seed oil 'oxford throat' in Oxford 6 yrs ago. From then on I've used the BLUE inhaler for a quick puff pre running. No other symptoms since and yes this eases my running but:

22 july 2018 had high pollen count in Devon - I began coughing then, and while steroid caps work excellently for 5 days coughing and wheezing come back - first time in 6 years.

And no idea why...Can't run at the moment. But X ray says lungs clear. Sputa being tested now too....I reckon high pollen count triggered, well, something in chest!

So far me Dr/asthma nurse has tried additional brown inhaler and not PINK inhaler: little or no effect!

And not sure why YOU need brown / or a pink puffer too?! Ventolin worked for me till recent episodes.

Not sure I even have 'asthma' but then what? My peak flow is 450 when well: now 320, not good. But I feel well! But want this coughing to stop. am self medicating with Aloe Vera now and want to start running again!

good luck1

mic

Exeter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.