Initial Diagnosis of possible Diverticular disease

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I am completely new to this, and would welcome some help. At the beginning of July this year I started having pains in the lower left side of my stomach and had a full body sweat with nausea. I went to my Doctors who after giving me a blood test and a stool test (both which were ok) has suggested I have (Diverticulitis) I have been referred to the Colorectal Surgery team, of which my first appointment is not until the 29th of August this year. Since my original appointment with the Doctor, I have had another fever attack and pains in my stomach (always on the lower left side) I know I am a bit premature with this question, but do sufferers of Diverticuler Disease always have a constant ache in the lower left stomach, and also this terrible nausea.. Thanks for your help in this.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

They referred you straight to a colorectal surgeon??? Not a GI. Did they do a CT? How do they know what they are dealing with,, this seems strange. Did he give you antibiotics?
    • Posted

Yes, the Doctor has referred me to an initial discussion with the Colorectal Surgery team. I have had 2 lots of antibiotics. I have not had a CT Scan or a Colonoscopy. Perhaps this is what the Colorectal Surgery team want to do initially.?
    • Posted

Hi Norman, do you live in the UK?  After my first attack, my GP did blood tests which came back negative for food poisoning etc.  I then had to wait 6 weeks for a sigmoidoscopy, followed a week later for a colonoscopy.  A couple of non-cancerous polyps were removed and evidence of diverticular disease was found.  I would have thought that this would be the normal investigation in the UK.

• Posted

Are you in the US? We normally would see a GI doctor first and they would order th CT etc but they may be different if you are somewhere elss. 
  • Posted

Hi Norman, 

Yes the pain is often in the lower left side but can be all across the lower area. Nausea is also a symptom as is loss of appetite and mucus and sometimes blood in stools. Has a colonoscopy been suggested as that would show up diverticulitis. Sounds like it could be diverticulitis  Best wishes Angela

• Posted

Hi Norman, not neccessarily , my pain was always in the middle down low. I had blood in my stools,fever, no appetite and was extremely tired. My primary physician sent me immediately for a CT scan which diagnosed the Diverticulitis. A colonoscopy should not be done before a CT scan because it can cause damage if you do have DD, recommended wait time is 6-8 weeks to make sure nothing else is going on. If you do have it try not to take Flagyl or Cipro. Flagyl can cause diarrhea for weeks which happened to me and others on this forum. I learned the hard way the bad side effects to Cipro, it can cause damage to you achellis tendon, mine is still in pain after 7 months. Good luck on the 29th. Let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

Hello Norman, yes what you describe is a fairly common symptom of DD which can affect people in varying degrees. However this is not certain without a visual internal examination of some type, as there are other diseases which can cause the same problems. I would assume the team you see will want a good look before recommending a course of action. I am guessing you haven't had a course of antibiotics, which can sometimes be all that's needed to settle things down. Try not to worry, as this can upset your digestive system too. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi, Alexandra, I have had 2 lots of Antibiotics, the first lot seem to clear up the pain and sweating etc, however 3 weeks later I had the same symptoms and had to take some more antibiotics.
  • Posted

I only have that type of pain when I actually have diverticulitis. I apply heat to the area and take Tylenol for pain. If you have a fever you must go to the doctor. Don't wait until the 29th.

• Posted

Hey Norman - all good comments (above) and it does sound like a classic case, but until you have CT/Colonoscopy you dont have a diagnosis. Your symptoms of fever, nausia, lower left side pain are completely in line (Divo pain can also be central and left - in my case it is normally central - I'm just getting over a bad attack at the moment and fever and nausia free as we speak).

There's a big difference between UK/Europe and US in treatment approach: The former regard surgery as a last resort - the reason for this is apparently due to the danger of post Op complications - so in France/UK main treatment is with ABs to stop fever. My last attack started in France and they throw in a load of extra meds the Brits dont seem to give out (at least they dont to me!) - anti spasmodics etc.

See eg DIVI DINERs for loads of dietry advise - st this stage beware of all fiber and veg, red meat and greasy foods.  Initially go fully liquid, then slowly start with eg rice, pasta, non-fried egg, white (non-greasy) fish, chicken. Once pain free gradually ramp up soluble fiber and all the good stuff (but no celulose - so apple, tomato skins no good and corn).

Its a club, but not one any of us want to be in!

• Posted

Sorry - meant to say pain can also be right hand side as well but this seems more unusual in the west at least 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.