Initial Reduction from40mg pd Pred (PMR+GCA)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Seemed there could be a substantial delay re Rh Dept appoint ment for husband because of, as mentioned previously, death of Rh. Consultant.

Saw GP who prescribed drop from 40 to 35 pd for two weeks then 30pd for two weeks and if no apparent problems and feel comfortable then request bloods.

Does anyone have any comments please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jones, my comment is the taper is much too quick and too large. I think that most of us with PMR will agree. I like the 10% reduction on a modified DSNS schedule myself. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reducing-pred-dead-slow-and-nearly-stop-method-531439 that is a 6-1 schedule, I would start on 4-1. For the first few tapers. Encourage your husband to try to stay active and listen to his body not over do it. Stay positive, try to smile, I believe it helps. ??

• Posted

Probably not too bad at that level - if he develops pain immediately he drops the dose then it is most likely to be steroid withdrawal pain and it should fade over the next week or so. If he DOES then do 2.5mg at a time - he may get away with it each week but 2 weeks is better on the body. If any pain takes a few days to appear - or if it gets worse stop, go back to the previous dose and tell the GP. 

A basic rule is a reduction step in a taper should be not more than 10% of the current dose - 5mg may well be fine, but if it isn't, 2.5mg. It isn't a race and it isn't slow if it works!!! All the best

• Posted

Hope it goes well with the reductions. At higher dosages it seems people can reduce more easily, it is when you get to the lower doses you need to slow down, but I suppose it is a matter if suck it and see. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.