Injecting insulin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. Im new here but have been diabetic for over 14 years. Lately ive discovered that, instead of holding the pen at top, I now hold it at the bottom a little above the needle(at bottom of pen) not on the needle and I find theres no pain as I do experience pain sometimes the other way.Its working for me hope it'll work for you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Of course one has to be careful to keep fingers around the pen to slide up to the top of pen to inject. Letting go of pen after placing needle in skin could lead to needle bending. Cant be too careful. It just takes a few seconds extra.also I inject into flat skin in stomach which I tighten up a little. But thats only my way but its good to experiment.
  • Posted

Hi tom69824,

Sadly, sir, it appears, from what you've written, that you have either been given incorrect advice on injection techniques, or you haven't been shown for all these years.

I'm glad that you've found a technique that's better for you, but I do hope that you are NOT only using your abdomen for injecting.  There's a very real chance, if you don't circulate your injection sites, that you could develop lipodystrophy (fat distribution, that often leaves 'craters' in and around the injection site(s)) OR lipohypertrophy, which appears like 'lumps' of fat beneath the skin at, or around, the injection site(s).

Be well, sir.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed, at the 'x's'.  It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for the last 40 years or so.

• Posted

Hi mick. I only inject in stomach. Are there other places to inject? No problem with the kisses. Xx kevin.
    • Posted

Hi tom69824,

There ARE other injection sites that you can use, kevin.  I don't know whether patient.info are still being 'over-zealous' about not allowing website urls, but the following page has a diagram of sites that you can use:

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diagram-of-insulin-injection-areas

The sites are:

-> Upper, outer arms.

-> thighs upper AND outside areas. i.e. in front or to the side.

-> upper outer quadrant of each buttock. i.e. furthest from your anus and to the sides of your body.  (Using this quadrant (quarter) ensures that you don't mistakenly inject into your sciatic nerve.)

You MAY experience difficulty in injecting to the upper outer areas of your arms as you don't have a free hand left to bunch up the fatty area. ;-)

You CAN develop lipodystrophy and lipohypertrophy in these areas too, which is ONE of the reasons that you should circulate your injection sites.  (Repatedly injecting into the same area causes miniscule damage to occur, where you'll develop 'scar' tissue, which can cause malabsorption of insulin. i.e. your insulin won't work as effectively as it did when you first started injecting as it gets harder for it to be absorbed through these damaged areas.)

I'm glad you don't object to the 'x's, sir.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

Oops!  Sorry tom69824,

I meant to say that you might also like to 'gather up a fatty area' of your abdomen and inject into that.  That also tends to lead to less 'pain'.

• Posted

Hi there! I am also in insulin, both long, and short insulin.I m very thin and therefore the options I have to inject insulin are very limited. I use the side of my thighs to do so, with pain from time to time. I'm definitely going to try this, thank you!

• Posted

Hi. Yes injecting this way is about 90% pain free. Using this method, there is less downward pressure on pen which makes it better. Of course everyone is different. But its always worth having a bash at it. Good luck kevin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.