Injection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ive been told I have arthritis in my knees . My right is really painful and tablets not easing it any . I am so tired as when i go to bed it just aches . My doc has advised me to get a cortisone injection . I'm not scared of needles but for some reason this freaks me out. Is it as bad as everyone says ????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I am currently trying to get myself referred for injections in my hip, so my case is different.  However, my mother in law has the injections about every six months in both knees for arthritis pain.  She is the sort of person who gets very freaked out at anything painful/medical/involving needles and she says she has no problem at all with having them.  Please feel reassured by this. x
  • Posted

I have had this done several times it’s afterwards that it hurts. You can’t be as bad as me with needles I have thrown a fit in the past. Just ask to lie down flat. Then go home and rest. In my fingers they would hurt for about 2 days and then relief. Once I got 6 months pain free 
  • Posted

It can be quite painful having the injection and it may ache and be swollen for a day or so afterwards.

They need to be sure they get it in the right place. Also be aware it may or may not work no guarantees here.

I used to have them about every 6 months before I had a knee replacement and GP used to book me in for a double appointment.  It does take time to ensure it is exactly in the right place. A  young junior doctor did one at the hospital for me once but he really wasn't listening to what I was saying about where the pain was. Very painful and uncomfortable. I politely suggested that next time I wanted an injection I could just go back to my own GP!!

Sarah

• Posted

Totally agree about who does the injection.  I had my thumb injections done at the GP surgery and it was hell on earth.  My partner had a steroid injection couple of years ago in his knee and firstly it hurt and secondly did no good.  He just paid private to have them done and it was a senior consultant and he also said it's very important to get them exactly in the right place, this time they didnt hurt and have really really helped.

• Posted

Hi Carole.   So sorry you're in so much discomfort.  I have OA in various places but thankfully not the knees.  However my partner suffers really badly with his knees - partly age, partly sports injuries as a teenager and also related to his height and stature - 6'5 and very broad shouldered - apparently tall/heavy people suffer more than most with joint issues.  I had previous steroid shot in my thumbs and it was unbearably painful and didnt seem to have any effect but my partner just paid privately to have cortisone injection in each knee (just over a week ago) and it seems to have really really helped.  He's been off work (without any sick pay) and at least he's managed to return to work this week.  It still hurts him badly if he stands or walks for too long but if he rests it well, it appears to be really manageable following the shots.  I had cortisone injections in my shoulder following the diagnosis of ruptured bicep tendons - the doctor numbed the local area first so the injection didnt hurt at all thankfully.  A little relief but he did say they work better on knees than anywhere else.

• Posted

Thanks everyone im going to try as the pain cant be any worse than the pain im in now . Thanks for the reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.