Injection - any point?

Posted , 4 users are following.

yea, excuse the pun in the title.

I have been suffering from shoulder pain for a number of months with the hope it would sort itself out. Recently it has got worse and I have taken myself off to physio. Early days, but the exercises ( which I follow religiously) and manipulation aford little relief.

She has suggested an injection might help. I am very tempted as I am hopeful I will at least manage a night of unbroken sleep.

what are people's experiences?

Will I be able drive myself home afterwards, or should I arrange a driver?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've had shoulder problems for 17 years.  Up until about a year ago the shots helped.   My first shot lasted 6 years, others less.  I just had the surgery 8 weeks ago.   I would definitely try the shot first.   Sometimes it takes more than one during a year.   Good luck.

• Posted

And I have never had anyone drive me home.  The shot itself hurts for sure, but you should be capable of driving.
  • Posted

hi streesy  i had a shoulder injection  a few month ago which lasted  around    10 days, so i guess my problem  was not   oa,    i have had  pmr for 6 years now.  so thought it could be that   causing the pain,  but i do not know

if the injection would work with pmr.   then i sat and    thought,  could it be related to a fall i had around 17 years back  whereby   i tore  my shoulder tendens,   my pain is mostly   top arm muscle   going into my  shoulder,

i keep  thinking  go back to the doc and ask for a scan   but i hate pestering him,

• Posted

Sounds like your biceps tendon.  Your body mechanics and body alignment when using your arm may be contributing to your situation.  Hope you feel better soon!!  Good luck

• Posted

What exactly did you do to your shoulder and how has it been treated professionally?

• Posted

I have seen a Prof under private healthcare. As expected he is referring me for an Ultrasound Guided Injection, the radiology dept also answered my other question insomuch as I should not drive myself,  or for the remainder of the day.
    • Posted

Good job following up with your doctor!  I had one of those injections (lidocaine and cortisone combo) ultrasound was used to inject the combo into the sheath of the biceps tendon.  It worked well until my PT ripped one of the repairs off its anchor resulting in another surgical intervention to re-connect one of the tendons to the humeral head.  GOOD LUCK!!  And keep us posted when you have time!!  
  • Posted

All further advice I'm getting is that I should not just rely on the injection. It is being used to break the cycle so that we can work on more physio.

• Posted

CORRECT! Don't forget to ice too! GOOD LUCK on a successful treatment plan!

• Posted

WOW !  smile

I had the cortisone injection about 90 minutes ago. I am completely pain-free. The thing I am struggling to get used to is the fact I have been compensating and avoiding certain positions for the last few months and now need to revert to using my arm correctly.

The radiologist decided that I was borderline for Babotage so chose to not perform that part of the treatment - we can always come back and do it another day if needed.

Obviously VERY early days - but if I continue with my physio and the exercises she gives me, I am very hopeful.

The take away for other readers of these forums is that if you have a shoulder impingement then the jab has a well worth investigating. 

• Posted

Feel like I might be turning this into a diary. but if it helps others, here goes.

Having felt euphoric after the injection and the best night of sleep in months, today I'm feeling really low.

The local that was injected at the same time as the cortisone has worn off and I'm back to hurting. It is a different hurt, so I am hoping that it from internal bruising and that once this settles the cortisone will start to do its work.

• Posted

<deep sigh> there is ZERO magic pill or injection to make this go away.  Hunker down and cross the bridges one step at a time.  You are NOT alone.  We are with you...  take care and God bless... 

• Posted

ps keep in mind that there is tons of research that says NO to the injections because of the damage the injection causes to tendons and ligament tissue....  there is NO magic pill or injection.  Your body needs to heal.  You can seek help from a quality physical therapist.  That PT will take you so far...the rest is up to you and how your body heals.  Do not give up.  Sort through it and do your best to keep your chin up!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.