Injection in my spine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have chronic osteoarthritis in my back and hips , the worst thing is the stiffness . I am scheduled for an steroid injection

will it help

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It helped me for a while, but I have to be honest I've had ever so many injections in so many places and they haven't all helped I'm afraid. Two weeks ago I had an Xray guided injection in my thumb and although it has numbed it a little, it still hurts to open a jar, or wipe dishes etc. I'm sure we are all different, so maybe it will be good for you, it's worth giving it a go. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Sukes

Sorry this is unrelated to the original question but regarding your hand pain - I've found tremendous relief from using ginger. I mince up the fresh root ginger and mix it with hand cream then slaver it all over my hand and wrist. Then I put on thin cotton gloves (the type you can get from the pharmacy) and leave it on overnight. The reduction in pain is really amazing. I can sleep now where I kept getting woken up before and I even manage to open some bottles/jars which I absolutely couldnt do at all before trying this. Give it a go, its cheap and harmless even if it doesnt work.

• Posted

Oh wow, thank you for that Loxie, I will definitely give that a go. Thank you x

• Posted

Hi I also have osteo in my spine and hip. I had a steroid injection in the top of my leg, which did help for a few weeks. I would be interested to know where they are going to inject you, as they would not let me have one in my spine. good luck, I know how much pain you are in! x

• Posted

Hi I've got to have one in both my hope I've got bursitis I think it's called and ostro and fusing in lower spine I'm considering if it's with having it myself ax many have told me it doesn't really work got long

• Posted

The steroid injection will help if you are lucky. The longer I trod this OA road the more I know OA is not for the weak & wimpy. I have had lots of injections & I think it only buys you time till the repair or replacement & I have had 4 (2 replacements, 2 arthroplasties)

A hip or spine is actually 2 separate injections. I find the injections are often more painful & traumatic then the pain. Too much steroids overtime can actually accelerate the damage. I think they give the injection too soon-a quick fix, a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

I understand the pain & it stinks, but try EVERYTHING they recommend first. Heat, ice, bracing( I use a SI belt alot for my back)excercise,exercise, excercise, lose weight (easier said than done)don't smoke, follow an anti-inflammatory diet. It seems insane to do exercises when you are hurting but it does help. Stiffness responds real well to exercise for me. We all know how rough it is getting going in the mornings. Go luck fellow warrior!

• Posted

I have OA in neck and back. Did the usual osteo and physio and was on painkillers most days. My acupuncturist gave me a brochure of makko ho (a shiatsu stretching method) and I started very slowly doing these stretches almost every day. After a period I found I could stop all medication and have now got the stretching down to twice a week and am totally painfree. I do have flareups about twice a year and they last for a couple of days but I have not needed injections.

• Posted

I think it depends on how bad the arthritis actually is. It seems to work for some people, but not for others. I had an injection in my thumb joint yesterday and an hoping it will give me some relief as I am suffering with stomach problems due to taking painkiller over the last 18 months. I have been offered an operation to remove my trapezium joint but have heard terrible reports about the results so am undecided whether to go ahead. You can only try the injection and hope for the best. Good luck.

• Posted

You'll get a lot of mixed views about steroid injections - I had one in my hand for OA in my thumb joints - firstly the injection itself hurt to hell and back - I honestly cannot describe how awful it was. Secondly it didnt bring any relief whatsoever. Sometime later I had one in the upper arm area after I was diagnosed with ruptured bicep tendons - the injection didnt hurt at all as the guy numbed the area first. Not sure however if it did anything for the ongoing pain. However, my partner paid privately to see a consultant when his knees were both giving him hell and he couldnt work because of it. As he doesnt get paid when off sick, he couldnt really afford to wait three months to get a referral under the NHS so he opted to pay privately - less costly than the loss of earnings. The consultant was fantastic and as part of the consultation offered to inject both knees. Neither hurt to have done. A week or so later the pain had reduced to enough extent that he could get back to work - total success. The consultant did comment that often the injections dont work as they should because they arent always accurately placed - it's a question of experience I guess. If you can be assured that whoever is doing the injections is expert enough to accurately place the shots, then you have nothing to lose by trying it I guess. If it doesnt work, it's a moment's discomfort, if it does then - excellent.

• Posted

I absolutely agree with you Loxie. The first injection in my thumb joint was done by the Rheumatologist at the clinic and I cannot describe the pain, it was just awful and it did not help one bit. I put up with the pain for months, then the Rheumy suggested having it done again, but Xray guided. I was really worried, but to be honest it didn't hurt anything like the first time, I suppose that was because they could see exactly where to put it. Unfortunately, although it helped a little, I'm still having trouble with certain tasks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.