injections

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have lost a lot volume in my face and a plastic surgeon suggested I get sculptra injections. This will add volume.  Reading about says people with autoimmunes should not get this. He says that is not true.  Anybody know anything about this? 

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about Sculptra, but I think  I read Juvaderm is ok. Better check with your dr, not plastic surgeon. Better yet, call the company who makes it. Better safe than sorry. 

• Posted

I wouldn't - but then, I wouldn't anyway.

However - I would not trust your surgeon implicitly as he appears unaware of recommendations in the medical literature:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4404720/

If you look at Table 1 you will see that for some autoimmune conditions and autoimmune conditions in general they say contraindicated or physician directed. Now polymyalgia rheumatica isn't specifically mentioned but not a lot is known about it and it is a vasculitis.

This 

https://www.aao.org/eyenet/article/soft-tissue-fillers-avoiding-treating-complication

doesn't specify any particular contraindications but it does show an example of infection after filler use. On pred we do have a reduced response to infection and we do have a compromised immune response anyway. It is an invasive procedure and there is potential for infection.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen...always a huge help for all of us.   Still thinking abuot it but now more cautious.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

My own opinion about plastic surgery may also has future bad effect. I will not add another future unknown problem to myself. Since we suffer from PMR  and it is a very torturing sickness. I remember I looked older fast,face became dry and tire and the face details were deeper. When you have critical sickness, your body will send all the sources to fight and temporary not to care about your skin and flesh. When your body condition gets better, then your skin and flesh will come back to normal. I suggest you can use a metal magnetic massage fork to massage your face to bring a better blood circulation to the face. I found it is very helpful and I use it myself. you can go on internet to search for it. Hope you would enjoy and love it.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

I have never heard of this, please tell me more. Does it stimulate collagen? My face is so sucken in. I googled it but would love to hear more from  you. There are many to choose from.  which is good?  Thank you

• Posted

Blood deliver nutrients, when circulation is good in your face the skin and flesh will grow better. You can select the fork with 3 teeth and a bend handle is better than straight because more convenience to the hand when moving on the face. You can find some instruction on the internet how and what direction to move when massaging the face. Each movement only three to five times, never over do it. You can do the whole face once a day. If you want to have a faster effect use 1 bowl of bamboo leaves with stem, half bowl of aloe vera center, one litre of distilled water, boil and cook to half litre. Fill up five small bottles, freeze four and keep one in the fridge. Use generously as toner (try finish one bottle within 3 weeks) and then apply a drop of almond oil (or grapeseed oil/ camellia oil) evenly on the face before massage with the fork. The toner and oil can also use on anywhere of the body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.