Injured during Cystoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a male, previously treated with HDR Brachytherapy radiation for prostate cancer 3/2018, Fast forward to 7/2019 local urologist screened me for Bladder cancer 14 months after radiation due to blood in urine, pain on urination , and urgency to urinate. . No cancer cells in urine, No abnormalities found in CT / PET scan . Urologist performed Cystoscopy with RIGID Cystascope in office . Nothing found....Lots of blood in urine for 3 days , pain on right ureter area of groin now for 16 days ...Highly experienced urologist told me not possible to injure male with flexible scope . Will have ultrasound in a week to assess damage done . Praying do not have to have repair surgery as repair of injured Bladder or Ureter tissue difficult after Prostate radiation ... Has anyone sustained injury during Cystascopy procedure????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

CLJim

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I am a female and I had a doctor do a rigid scope on me in the office with no numbing gel or lube of any kind. So to answer your question, yes, I have. Luckily it was minor and the physical injury healed in time, still trying to heal the emotional damage he did to me. I wish you luck and understand what you must be going through.

Debbie

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Debbie......I went up to Stanford yesterday and they are ordering a ultrasound of the area.......You hit the nail on the head ...It is emotionally damaging wondering what is going on with the relentless burning in the abdomen and right ureter ...the stress is starting to take a toll on my body and colon which can quickly flare into diverticulitis .....was feeling good until the cystoscopy procedure now 2.5 weeks out pelvic /abdomen is really beat up and hurting......hopefully there is only minor injury as I have had to cut out all physical activities which further impacts one. Again thank you for your response and it is good to hear your injury was minor and healed in time. Will post ultrasound results once I take the scan and get results.

• Posted

Hi! I know this really late but I had a cystoscopy and urethral dilation 9 days ago and I was worried I was injured as well considering my symptoms are lasting well over the 4 days my urologist told me it would last. Did your ultrasound show any damage? My urologist keeps pushing me off telling me "it'll just get better" no matter what question I ask.

• Posted

Emily give it time....at least a couple of weeks ....both flex and rigid scopes are used on females......the urologist used a rigid scope on me which should only be used on males for surgery .....I was on the floor for 3 weeks.....past a lot of blood for 3 days ......I sustained what appears to be a permanent injury due a cystoscopy procedure which has left me with periodic pain in the general area of right ureter , right groin and right testicle and now pain on ejaculation . Although you may hear a urologist say it is not possible to sustain an injury via cystoscopy procedure .....Do not believe them.

The ultrasound did not show any injury but ultrasound scan is superficial as I have been told by other doctors I really need MRI or CT to determine if injured......which I may have done in a few months ....main thing I stopped bleeding internally after 6 months and no longer in pain when urinating.which I developed as a side effect of radiation treatment for PC......and a secondary cystascopy procedure has been cancelled...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.