Injured gluteus medius 10 days post revision hip replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had a revision surgery on 17th December last year. All was going fantastically until I leaned over from sitting on my bed to pat my cat on the opposite side. This immediately led to excutiating sharp pain in the glute.

Since then I cannot put any weight on that hip. The hip caves in with bad pain. I can't do lying abductor lifts at all. Its like trying to lift a log. This pain has now extended to my knee, which was revised 4 months ago, with swelling on the lateral part of the knee.

I'm so upset and angry at myself! What if I've done myself a permanent injury!? What if I'm now stuck with a Trendelenberg gait.

I'd be so reassured if there were other people that have been in the same situation. 梁

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately it rather sounds to me as if you dislocated it and whilst it could have popped back into place it may not have. I had the same thing happen to me and X rays showed that it had returned to the correct position, I was fortunate!

Please contact your. doctor or the emergence services if in severe pain and get it looked at ASAP.

• Posted

It sounds like what happened when my hip dislocated, 5 1/2 months post revision. In my case though I was unable to move without excruciating pain. A 911 call, ambo transport to ER, reduction under anesthesia and discharged home. 3 weeks later I cant walk without a cane from muscle weakness, but once it was back in place sore for a few days then pain free. I would get it checked out to make sure everything is in place

Good luck.

Deborah

• Posted

Wanted to check on you to see how you are doing? Hope if your hip did dislocate that its back in place and you're on the mend. Take care.

Deborah

• Posted

How do you know it is a gluteus medius injury? Did you have an MRI or ultrasound for diagnosis? I had nasty tears in my gluteus medius and gluteus minimus tendons after my THR, diagnosed 6 months after the THR with MRI. Mine never healed, so I had to have surgery to repair them. That was done 15 months after the THR.

• Posted

So, I did end up with the dreaded TRENDELENBURG gait. No muscles were torn, only pulled and therefore weakened. I'm now 3 months post revision and still limping badly. I'm trying to walk without a crutch around the house. Don't know whether that's good or bad, but I'm so tired of the crutch. It gets in my way. I was uncomfortable before the surgery. Didn't for one minute think I'd end up semi-disabled .....

• Posted

Call your surgeon's office asap and tell them what happened.

We can only guess. Tell your surgeon. They'll bring you in for a new X-ray and exam and go from there.

Sorry to hear of the pain. This does sound serious to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.