Injured my knee awhile back around November 2019. Wasn't checked properly by Doctors, concerned!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I injured my knee while playing Basketball for my University awhile back but it was not checked properly by the coaches and first aid at the Sports Center where I was playing at. 8 months have passed now I really want to get back into the sport since I have a hoop at home. (Dont worry I am social distancing and keeping safe!) But I have concerns about playing again.

Now to get into the details about the injury. When it occured I remember landing only on my right leg which led to a loud pop sound I remember hearing. It felt like a dumb bell was dropped onto my knee and it was very painful. After 2 weeks it stopped hurting and could limp on the leg and get around the house, however now and again I feel like the knee that was affected by the injury feel awkward when I move around suddenly and when I tried to get into shape during lockdown with a light jog it would start to feel weak very fast. I am able to do squats and other leg exercises with weights which let my knee bend and feel tension but I do not feel any significant pain.

Do I possibly have an injury which needs surgery? Such as a torn ACL. Or am I worried for no reason and try to strengthen the knee affected with leg workouts?

Thank you for responses and I am sorry if this post was a bit all over the place this is my first discussion!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I would say first of all if it does not hurt too much that is a good sign. You might not have a serious injury.

Second point, soft tissues injuries takes time to heal. It does not heal as quick as a bone fracture. Actually, it can take up to a year for a soft tissue (muscle, tendons....) to heal.

An other problem with soft tissue injuries is that, to repair quickly the injured area, the body builds up a tissue that is not exactly like the original, that is scar tissue. Scar tissue tends to be stiffer and limits movement.

Maybe, the tension you feel is actually scar tissue. Since your injury is still fresh (less than 1 year), you should be assessed by a massage therapist and starts physiotherapy.

They do have some tricks to make the scar tissue more flexible. By this mean, you should regain strength and full movement. And most important, you would have less chance to re-injure the area.

Best of luck,

• Posted

This is why its important to stretch the ligaments before vigorous exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.