Injury then Tinnitus - Bone or Inner ear cause?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I stupidly burst my eardrum with some force last year with the end of my sunglasses.

Was told at the time there didnt seem to be any damage to the inner ear but I then got an infection which started weeping and took anti biotics to clear.

My eardrum has completely healed over since but at the time the whole was closing up, my tinnitus started (i think it started then) and became deafening.

Its slightly quiter since then but constant and I want rid of it.

My CT and MRI scan show no damage to bones however two experianced ENT's think there is damage to the ear bone behind the drum, from close investigation. Apparently it doesnt always show in a scan. An audio report shows there is loss to the inner ear hearing aswell.

My tinnitus can vary on excercise I undertake and drink such as caffeine.

My question is for anyone with experiance - does it sound like my tinnitus is caused by damage to the inner ear or the bone?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

thanks for the response. The hole closed up 6 months ago.. Could it be the bone or the loss of hearing?
    • Posted

Yes, the damaged middle ear bone could be the cause of the tinnitus. Has there been a discussion on repairing the bone?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

caffeine increases blood pressure and so does exercise.  Audiogram can be misleading if not interpreted correctly.  Assuming no hearing loss, how can you hear correctly when you have tinnitus.  It is like testing hearing with lawn mower in the background.  This is not a correct way of checking your ears.  CT and MRI shows no abnormalities means damage is too small to see or there is no damage.  I have severe tinnitus without damaging my eardrums.  I suspect my problem is jaw bone or tooth.  More likely that you have inner ear infection that is not inflammatory. It tinnitus gets quiter means you are healing but slowly.  Avoid doing things that agrevate tinnitus.  Avoid aspirins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.