Injury to my left arm.

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 5 months ago I fell at a gas station. I am not sure what happen but I remembered exiting the store and ended as if someone had pushed me. I hit my chin and the fall was directly to my left resulting in injury to my arm. I am 59 years old and gave birth to three children, I have never felt pain as I did on that day. I was not able to get, my son who was with me helped me to the car where I passed out.After awhile I came to and asked my son to take me home. While at home I started experiencing ague. I went to the ER and xray was taken, the result came back as no broken bones, but to follow up with a orthopaedic. I have not done this since I lost my insurance, with the company I had worked for 17 years. After all this time I am not able to raise the arm, unable to make my bed, the arm sets in a position that I cannot stretch completely, contantly hurts, sometimes I have no feelings. Since the bones were not broken, something else is going on. Any advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First let me say how sorry I am that you've injured your arm. I fell off my bike two weeks ago and broke my wrist and fractured my hand. I know the excruciating pain you felt. It's awful. If they took an X-ray and said no bones are broken then I guess you're lucky there.  However,it doesn't sound like you're healing.  I'm wondering if maybe you injured a ligament out tendon.  I would make an appt with an orthopedist in your area. Good luck 

• Posted

ugh so sorry to hear this... you need to see the orthopaedic doctor who will evaluate and probably send you for an mri to confirm what is wrong.  Speak with the doctor's office probably billing office before your appt to find out if they will work with you regarding payments or if they have some sort of financial assistance or hardship application forms.  Most providers have something to help you pay for the care you need to heal.

Secondly, you may need to consult with a personal injury lawyer for advice.  If you fell, tripped or were pushed resulting in the fall and related injuries... the gas station must be held accountable for your medical bills and pain/suffering.  PI lawyers will not charge you up front.  They will take a third of your "winnings" or settlement.  

Please get the care you need.  Please contact a lawyer.  Take care of you!!  Good luck and lots of icing and ibuprofen until you can see the doctor.  Pack the shoulder in ice 3 times a day.  

• Posted

ps use ibuprofen up to 800 mg every 4-6 hours to manage pain and help with the internal inflammation of the shoulder joint.  If the ibuprofen doesn't help add ES Tylenol 1,000 mg every 4-6 hours along with the ibuprofen.  Ice the shoulder as much as you can and refrain from any above shoulder overhead movements until you are evaluated.  You do not want to cause more soft tissue injuries or rip a tear further.  GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS!

• Posted

So sorry for this painful experience. I agree...you definitely need to see ortho. There are so many things that might be affected. I would want another set of x-rays because initial swelling might have obscured any breaks or there could have been a misread. Seems to me that if nothing else, you might have some nerve damage as well as tendon atrophy. PT is going to be necessary once you have definitive diagnosis and intervention. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.