inner-ear infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Right let me start from the beginning....in March went to my GP with severe dizziness. I was told I had a polyp in my left ear.... my op was booked and in July they removed the polyp and was told I have had a underlaying inner-ear infection and the dizziness was vertigo. I have had the infection for nearly 7 months now, I have had 8 courses of antibiotics ( different types and strengths ) the last being amoxicillin which I had a ADR with ( ADR adverse drug reaction ) now at the present day ( 1/9/14 ) I have still got the inner-ear infection and last week went ENT and awaiting another op which I was told I would probably have to wait 28 weeks for. But my problem is. That it is affecting my life and my work and my everyday living. And no-one in the medical profession seems to care much about it. This is what I have at present on a daily basis

1. Mild to severe dizziness

2. Severe pain on the left side off my head and neck and eyes

3. Pain in both my shoulders

4. Mild to severe pains in my chest ( told by Dr at ENT it was muscular strain )

5. Feeling of shortness of breath and a achy type pain in my lungs

6. Mild to severe stomach pains. Which have now caused me not to eat

I'm drinking plenty of fluids. And I'm on painkillers. I also have high BP but the is stable and controlled by LOSARTAN POTASSIUM 50 MG TABLETS. as ramipril wasn't agreeing with me.

I have got to the point now where I cant take it any more. I cant go on living like this. I'm losing sleep and losing weight rapidly. I don't know where to turn to so if any one has any tips or suggestions please reply. Thankyou in advance

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would change to a different consultant and ask for an MRI Scan or CT Scan plus a biopsy. Not sure why you need another operation for a polyps removal. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen

They said that the operation is to remove the infection. Some thing about a masteriod. I think that just means going through the back of my ear. I did request a CT scan but was told to see my GP and get referred for one. I have been trying to get appointment with my GP for the last 3 days. Which is very annoying cause I need to get my BP tablets put on repeat.

I am still waiting for my biopsy results from when they removed the polyp. But haunt heard any thing yet. But will be chasing it up on my next appointment with my consultant at ENT. Thank you for replying. I found this site really usefull.

Thank you once again

• Posted

Hello again I had surgery to clean an ear infection (had it for 7 months) and to remove what they thought was a polyps. The op was unsuccessful and I nearly died. The biopsy following revealed a glomus tumor in my ear - very rare indeed but they do happen. They grow slowly and are not always obvious on a CT scan (mri are better) I am awaiting treatment (since 2010) as I am refusing surgery (due to the dangers) and waiting for cyberknife non invasion radio therapy which will kill the tumor slowly over time but not remove it. The symptoms are hard with dizziness high BP, whooshing noise in my ear so I understand how you feel. I wish you the best in finding a solution Karen
  • Posted

Hi I also had an ear infection that continued and several courses of antibiotics had no effect. 2years later, had an MRI scan which has revealed a large acustic neuroma. Now deaf in that ear, but seeing the consultant this week, for the first time. If it had been diagnosed earlier, perhaps I would not have lost my hearing. I urge you to demand an MRI Good luck
  • Posted

I agree Alison an MRI should be done for Jai. I am also deaf in my left ear too. I  do hope you get the most effective and safest treatment Alison.

Just to mention I now take steriods for 5 days every 6 or 7 weeks which really help the dizziness and reduce the pressure for a little while whilst I am waiting for treatment. 

• Posted

Thanks Karen. Its scary. Its good to have support of other people who are experiencing similar problems. Good luck for the future.
  • Posted

Thank you all fervour reply.

I forgot to mention that the consultant I'm under at ENT also said that the operation has got some risks they being

1. Total loss of hearing

2. Total loss of taste

3. Possible chance of facial paralysis on my left side.

These being if they damage any nerves while performing the operation depending on how deep they have to go to remove the infection or infected parts. In a way this is very worrying. But I look at it like this every operation has risks.

After reading all your replys I'm going ring my consultant tomorrow and demand I have a MRI scan ASAP

Thankyou once again

• Posted

Hi Jai 

They are the reasons I am not having surgery as its dangerous and the symptoms afterwards can be worse than they are now forever too.

The key is an experienced Surgeon if that is the only route and don't settle for anything less. I have met with some very incompetent surgeons. I have spent 4 years research on this throughout the world. I was told in December to go to Germany for 7 weeks of tests and then have surgery with someone with no experience and no bedside manners either.... I was so angry I did more research and by accident came across someone here in Cyprus who I met with and was amazed at her knowledge and she is helping me now to go forward with treatment - and guess what she didn't charge me anything to see her and was the first person to actually explain my tumor, read my mri correctly and made me feel  confident and happy again. I felt for 4 years I was waiting to die. I am so grateful that I have gone with my gut feeling - you must do the same. I am not telling you this to scare anyone but to help you demand the very best for yourself and don't be pushed around to suit them. Just think of all the different professions there are in the world ie a dentist good and bad, hair stylist good and bad... take your time

• Posted

Yes do this. I will know more after I have seen the consultant on Thursday. I have a list of questions to ask before I decide what route to take.

you have suffered long enough. You need a result

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.