Inner knee pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am almost 8 months TKR post op and not recovering well. A lot of pain and swelling. My concern right now is that the past two days I've had extreme pain on the inner side of my operated knee. This pain is new and came on suddenly and getting worst. Now it's not just painful on the inside but it's also very very tender to the touch. I wanted to know if anyone had experienced this before I go running back to my doctor.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That's really unusual for 8 months post-op unless you are completely overdoing the knee and pushing it way beyond what it can handle...remember that you've gotta rebuild all your leg muscles to take the pressure off the knee.  If you have been taking it slow and gradually, like you should, and are now having this level of pain, I'd see my ortho ASAP to see what's going on.  If you have been pushing the knee, then back off and let it heal.

• Posted

Thanks Chico. I'm definitely not overdoing it. Besides work (I'm a vetrinary technician) where I take it pretty easy, I don't really do much else. I actually saw my surgeon a few months ago because the knee was still really swollen and painful and he said it's normal give it more time. Went for a second opinion and the second doctor said the same thing "give it time". I'm starting to think that's what they all say once they've put in your new knee. I also have a picked of fluid on the outside of the knee that I plan on getting drained soon but this new pain is making me nervous.

• Posted

Have you tried some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)?  Really good topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  Back off any extra activity, ice, elevate and get the doc to RX the gel.  If you are elsewhere, it's called Diclofenac.  If it doesn't improve soon, I'd see your doc for this new development.

• Posted

I agree with Chico. It is unusual at 8 months post op. Have you been over doing the physio and exercise?. Time to seek medical help. If it's very tender to touch you may have an infection, see your doctor as soon as possible, don't put up with it hoping it will go away. 

• Posted

I had various pain and discomfort for many months in my right knee, due to effusion. The pain was debilitating. Do not muck around asking us. Go see a Doctor. I was backwards and forwards to my Orthopedic clinic whenever I was worried. My sister died recently because she didn't understand how I'll she was. It's up to each of us to be vigilant. That's what Doctors are for.

• Posted

Thanks guys! If it's not better by Monday I'm calling my doctor.

• Posted

I'm 6 months post op and I've had tgat pain since surgery. Had xrays and c t scan. All negative. Could be a twisted ligament??? My surgeon now tells me it's a pinched nerve in my back from lumping so badly and wants me to gave steroid injections. I wish I had never had this done. 100 times worse now.

• Posted

So they're telling you a pinched nerve in your back is causing the pain on the inside of your knee? Sounds far fetched to me but I guess anything is possible. I've had back pain for years because of my bad knee so I can how the reverse could happen.

• Posted

Hi!  I’m addressing Chico. I had bilateral tkr and am 3 months post recovery. My right knee which was in poor shape is well (120 degree bend). My left knee on the other hand is only bending at 90 degrees after being at 70-74 degrees for 2 months. It is still very tight and is making it difficult for me to walk correctly. I have pt 3 times a week and do exercises every day at home.  After a few dry days in NY, I was feeeling great.  Today I woke up tight and have a lot discomfort in both knees.  I raked my garden a bit yesterday and picked up some weeds, but felt fine afterwards. I must also mention that I’m still unable to spend more than 90 minutes at a time sleeping in bed. I spend most of the time sleeping in a recliner. Burning and a stiff crampy feeling wakes me up. This causes me to have broken sleep. Will I need my doctor to perform a manipulation? Any time I am pushed at PT to break up scar tissue I cry or scream in pain. I am feeling frustrated and depressed again. I realize it’s only 3 months but I’m afraid to make plans to pick up my granddaughter or attempt the beach. Any advice or encouragement wanted. Thanks!
    • Posted

How did you get my address???  lol...

First, anyone getting a bilateral is an uncontested hero in my book.  I cannot imagine having both done like that.  Big gold star for you.

After reading soooo many posts of people who did bilaterals or had #2 done a few months after #1, I can tell you that virtually everyone reports that the recovery on each knee is independent from the other.  Very, very few people report the same experience on both sides.  So it seems completely normal that you are having this experience.  MUAs are up to the docs...I don't know if there is an objective criteria or if each doc has their own.  That's between you and the doc.  Just work hard on your ROM and see what happens.

Meanwhile, there's PT, which is always difficult when you're breaking down the scar tissue.  Personally, I think all of them got their degrees from the Torquemada Institute of the Spanish Inquisition.  I swear I saw a Rack in the corner on my place covered by a bloody sheet...  Pain meds an hour before a session seem to help a bunch of people.  You can try some stuff at home...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

#3 will get you to zero degrees but it's a killer.  Gravity is a law and the law must be obeyed!!!  Here's some help for sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Since you don't have your ROM back, it's tough to begin the exercise program to rebuild all the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core.  These muscles not only support (and take the pressure off) the knees but greatly contribute to your balance.  The beach might not be the best choice...solid ground is a lot better.  I know that I even avoided walking on grass since the unseen variations in the ground could easily throw one's balance off.  You need to approach this very carefully.

Give us an update soon...

• Posted

Hi!  Thanks for your advice and your sense of humor. You had me laughing a few times (especially the Wiley coyote reference). Before my surgery I practiced tai kown do 3 times a week, attended boot camp once a week, and was learning tai chi. I miss it all. My instructors were caring and urge me to come back ASAP as they will monitor my workouts. I’m still not stable on my legs as I just started strength training at pt so I’m holding off going  back.

Sadly I live in a beach area and was hoping to be able to enjoy the ocean. I will stick to the Bay Area where I know the ground is level. 

Getting to sleep in my bed is ok, it’s being able to stay there that is difficult.  Again cramping and burning is a problem after about an hour.

I will keep everyone updated

• Posted

"I will stick to the Bay Area where I know the ground is level."  Really?  Like Lombard Street-level?  You're kidding...right?  And... "Sadly I live in a beach area..."  Sadly?  Geez...wish we could live on the beach...but yes, sand is not the most stable of surfaces for someone with new knees.  Get your strength back...it will all come back in time.

Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) 15 minutes before bedtime.  Great anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  If you live in CA (?) with the new laws and a doc will get you the right medical card (?), go to a dispensary and buy some "Lotion".  Should be made from the whole plant.  FANTASTIC!!! 

At the beginning, I went to sleep with a mechanical ice machine continuously replenishing cold water in my knee sleeve.  That was GREAT!!!  Also, check your night meds.  Aside from pain, maybe a light dose of a benzodiazapine would help.  I take 1 mg Xanax because I have Restless Legs Syndrome.  With a half-life of less than 4 hours, it gets me to sleep pretty quickly but wears off.  Klonopin does the same thing but has a half-life of 36 hours so it should KEEP you asleep too.  I don't like it because I would feel groggy in the morning.  Ativan, with a half-life of 10 hours, might be the best choice to help you sleep and then be alert in the morning.  Talk to your doc.

Note: I'm "Not-a-Doc" but my ex (25 year marriage) is a licensed pharmacist, my current wife was a psychiatric nurse for 30 years plus I get all my complex drug questions answered by one of my best friends (and leader of the 5-piece horn section in my blues band back in Jersey) who is a Dr., Dr., Dr. with Ph.D.'s in pharmacy, chemistry and phamacokinetics....and a law degree.  We still don't know how he had kids...  Major player at Johnson and Johnson HQ in New Jersey.  Lots of excellent info at my disposal...learned a lot from my ex...

• Posted

Im almost 11 months post TKR and have all manner of aches and pains as things 'get back to normal'... 

My first knee-based-visit to a consultant was over 25 years ago and I remember well that he dug his thumb into my inner knee and asked if it hurt ! 

It hurt like hell and although I thought that bit of my knee no longer exists, that original pain still does, on the inner side of my operated knee !

Only this last month have I started walking 'properly' and as such, muscles etc that have been largely dormant for almost a year are getting some use and are necessarily sore.

Im no doctor, but Id be tempted to see how things progress. Less exercise, more ice and rest....

All the best for a continued recovery....

• Posted

Thanks Peter. That's what I'm thinking it may be. Not only is that pain new but I'm also getting new pain in my back. My body alignment was all whacked out going into the knee surgery from years of limping and my body compensating for the limp. I think it may be slowly realigning itself and I'm feeling all the aches and pains. I'm going to call my doctor just to make sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.