Inner Thigh Cramps

Posted , 9 users are following.

I don`t get these cramps very often, in fact it must be over two years since my last attack, until, two nights ago. Omg the pain is so bad but I can`t understand what causes it in that particular place, I was scared to go to sleep last night in case it happened again. Luckily I`ve still got some quinine and once I was able to drag myself to the kitchen I couldn`t swallow it quick enough. Its still tender in that spot. I do get cramp at times in random places in my feet and lower legs but the pain is nothing like as excrutiating as this. I have been taking magnesuim and calcium tablets for quite a while now but it sure didn`t stop the groin cramp. I don`t think its that common to be honest as most people I`ve spoken to about it have not suffered it there. I`m puzzled as to why it can strike so suddenly out of the blue. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I can surely understand as many on this forum can. Scary as you do not know when they will happen. What had been recommended and I do use, is Theraworx. You can buy it on Amazon. Also,...and what I highly recommend, is using a massager at night. My massager has heat and I use that on the inner muscle and then apply the Theraworx. I did go to my dr and she had me take tests....potassium, iron and magnesium plus a panel. All those tests came back normal. I started to take iron on my own....stopped those when I started to have black stools, cramping and diarrhea...I do take potassium and magnesium. The Theraworx is a magnesium spray.

I hope you find relief. 

Joan   

• Posted

Thankyou Joan for all your suggestions, Amazon UK doesn`t have Theraworx but I`m going to try Tissue salts MAG PHOS. It is scary because its so painful. I imagine the heated massager could be very soothing. God Bless
  • Posted

Hello!  Are you in the United States?  If so there is a product called Theraworx that works on me 100%  I buy mine off their website so I know I am getting the real product, but others get theirs on Amazon.  I consider it a miracle and a life saver because mine were so bad, I would bolt out of bed and fall and whack my head many times.  I am sure it would have been a matter of time before that could have killed me.  They are horrible but I can sleep now in peace with the Theraworx.  Hope this helps you!  Let us know!

Suzie

• Posted

Hi There, No I`m in the UK, I did look on Amazon for this but they didn`t have it but I saw a product to try which I know I can get from the health shop, Tissue salts MAG PHOS, the reviews were very good for cramps and I know tissue salts work. That`s exactly what I did the other night....bolt out of bed, I never moved so quick and I`m still tender in that spot, its bad when I`m fearful of going to sleep in case I get it again. Thank you so much for your reply
    • Posted

Definitely try massaging the area to relax the muscle
    • Posted

Awwwww what a bummer that they don't have Theraworx in the UK.  It's so fabulous.  Maybe one day......if you google them, their website might pop up.  I wonder if you emailed them they would consider making this available over there.  I do wish you luck with the tissue salts though!

~Suzie

• Posted

I take magnesium powder and just ordered potassium powder because it seems faster acting. My calcium comes from a bariatric site in a chewable form. It seems the magnesium and calcium keep them at bay, but they still seem to be lurking around. I hope the potassium helps that too! I'm likecyou, dreading sleep because of this and restless legs.

• Posted

I wish I had the answer for you. For me... I started taking magnesium tablets every night and haven't had any cramps in about 6 months! (Knock on wood) I believe it's a vitamin deficiency with some dehydration to boot but I'm no Dr.. Just guessing. I hope you find something to help! Take care!

• Posted

I wish I knew too! I was at the pool today with my grands and drinking a diet coke. I never drink carbonated beverages, but had little choice. I've noticed it has happened when I drank root beer too. I think the carbonation depletes something! I've read coffee does reduce magnesium. I don't really know if it has anything to do with them starting. I sat in a lounger, comfortably, when it pulled a bit. Thankfully, I felt it coming and caught it. Usually, nothing stops them. I'd have made an ugly scene had it came full on. I just jumped up and straightened my leg. I'd taken calcium and magnesium this morning to try to ensure I didn't get one. Maybe I should have taken potassium too! Going to neurologist and will share it I learn anything.

• Posted

Shelta05674. . what were your results from the neurologist? anything to do with the inner thigh cramp?

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear about getting the most painful cramp/spasm Ive ever experienced in my life ....lol Ive been getting them over 15yrs now. At first (wow) it would last up to 10 min and almost make me pass out, and I would get extremely violent such as picking up the nearest object at the closest person yelling "do something get me water or hot rag" I didnt know what to do. But after many many inner thigh leg cramps ive been able to deal with them now easily. What i have learned(this is what works for me)

-when you have to get up and urinate at night what triggers it is not squaring your feet up before standing up. If you do this you will not get it.

• If you trigger it and you feel it coming on, stand up and look at the sky and arch your back to counter the cramp. The muscle that is cramping makes you bend over and the more you bend forward the worse the cramp gets, and the more painful it is.....
    • -sometimes taking mustard works, sometimes a hot wet rag works, cold seems to make it worse.
      • when you are getting one and your bent over trying to walk you need to stand up and stretch that part out, when you do this it will become much more painful but what is needed to make it end.
    • when im dehydrated and using my leg muscles more is when i get them.
    • the worst was after hiking for the first time of the year in the mountains my jeans were wet and while driving home i got the cramps in both legs at the same time, i wanted to die, I barely got out of my truck and it had already bent me over because i was already sitting down in my truck so it was very painful.
    • i was hiding behind my truck so no one would see me driving by, finally it subsided and i was good till i got home and got out of my truck and was not able to square up my feet and it happened again.
    • ive only met one other person to get this cramp and he called 911 and told me if here was a gun next to him he would of shot himself....
    • to this day he calls me every time he gets one and thanks me for telling him how to counter it.
    • well thats my two cents
    • most effective immediate thing ive used is mustard squirt it in your mouth
    • second would be hot towel
    • after standing up and stretching it out, once you let it bend you over your your doomed.....
    • Posted

ugh!! I know exactly what you mean when you're hateful with whoever is near. I try not to be but the pain is just too much to bear! I had it happen while driving once..thankfully I was able to pull into a convenience store but I sat there agonizing in pain for like 30 minutes!! it was the longest duration of the cramp I'd ever had! I was worried someone was going to call 911 or something! I tried just keeping my face down so none could see the pain I was in. I finally was able to text my husband and just said "got the cramp! be home when I can " he immediately called and asked where I was but he wasn't familiar with the area so it wouldn't have done any good to tell him. at least he cared😊 he knows to grab 2 towels and turn the hot water on, when it happens. seems like that's been the best way to make it stop.. although it still takes a while..unfortunately. magnesium helps too.. hope your cramp free for awhile!!

• Posted

I wish I knew.. might get rich if I had the reason and /or cure! lol I take magnesium too. seems to be the thing that's worked the best so far. idk if this has been an issue for anyone else but because I took opiates for so long, I had problems with constipation and it always seemed to happen when I was at my worst. (trying to put it delicately) lol off the opiates now and I'm good now 😁

• Posted

I have been a suffer of debilitating sever thigh cramps for years and never have been able to determine what has been the cause. I have tried all the solutions suggested here. The only marginal relief I have ever found is to quickly drink a glass of orange juice when a thigh cramp hits. This fairly quickly reduces the severity of the cramping and the duration. I am lucky enough to have a great husband who knows to bring OJ when I wake up screaming when a cramp hits, I could not get it for myself.

However, recently I think I have finally discovered the cause of the cramps. I am sharing as it may be the solution for some of you as well. For other reasons, I have also taken small doses of over the counter Motrin or Alieve almost daily. About 3 months ago I decided to stop taking these NSAID's. During this time I have had no cramps at all, sever or otherwise with one exception. One day about a month and a half in I had some muscle strains and decided to take some Alieve. That night I got 4 different very sever thigh cramps. I did some research and found that a rare side effect of NSAID'S is leg cramps, and Alieve in particular is associated with leg cramps. So with the one exception when I took the Alieve, I have had NO cramps at all since stopping the NSAID's.

I wanted to share my experience here as I have never read or have a doctor suggest that NSAID'S could be the cause. I hope sharing this will help help someone as the thigh cramps are the worse acute pain known to man!

• Posted

Try regular table salt...pour q small amount in your hand and them your mouth (so you don't get to much) hold it under your tongue for about 10 seconds or so and then take a drink of water and swallow the salt and water ...your cramps should stop in a minute or two ...if they don't don't then repeat the steps above.,.. i sleep with water and a salt shaker next to my bed .,.a diver friend of mine taught me this trick ....he would get leg cramps while he was under water and couldn't swim .

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE?

let me know if this works for any of you ...good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.