innohep injections post abdominal surgery 2 weeks ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

2 weeks ago I had abdominal surgery to remove two tumours from my pelvis. We find out next week the results from biopsies.

Reason for my post it, since surgery I've been have the daily innohep tinzaparin sodium injections which my husband has been doing for me.. anyway, I'm meant to be having them right up until Xmas day but it's getting to the point where I'm really fed up - my stomache is awfully bruised all over from them and of course with the actual surgery scar which runs from above my belly button all the way down to my pubic bone aswell, my poor tummy is having a battering!

Are they really that necessary?!? I understand they're obviously given to you for a reason but I'm mobile, I'm out and about now, pipping to the shops a little and don't spend any time laying in bed just some rest on the sofa - do I really need to still be injecting?!

I have terrible stretch marks from two previous pregnancies and I'm putting it down to this as to why I'm so badly bruised from the needles. They are now really hurting when administered also and I'm in sing it hard trying to find a decent spot to even inject now!

Has anyone been prescribed these but given up and not had any bother or is it really important that I continue them???

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what those injections are. But I had a months worth of fragments ones to prevent blood clots. I was able to do them in my upper leg not my stomach. Maybe you ask if you could do that too? You still end up with a bruised leg but rather that than the stomach 😬X
    • Posted

*fragmin injections not fragments 😆
    • Posted

Yes they're the animals clotting ones and tasks for advice. I get results of the biopsies tomorrow so I will ask then. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hi, 

Are these the injections to prevent blood clots?  If they are then I only had 3 or 4.  I had a total hysterectomy at the end of June last year and I remember having 3, one a day but not sure if I had one on the day of the operation or not.  It was never mentioned to me that I would have to carry on having these at home and they didn't prescribe any for me with the medicines I had to take home which were painkillers, iron and lactalose.  I didn't wear the stockings either as no one said I needed to. I only wore them in hospital for 2 1/2 days. I took them off when I had a shower on the 3rd day and no one said anything about me not wearing them.   I wouldn't have thought you needed them if you are up and about.   I also had no follow up by the consultant afterwards, he just referred me back to my doctor and it was months later when I saw her about something else and she just had a quick look at my scar. 

• Posted

Yes they are the ones. Thank you... I only wore stocking for about 3 days, had a shower and then like you no one told me to put them back on.

Thanks keep for the advice. We are finally getting the results tomorrow from my op so I'm going to ask then if one, I need to continue with them and if so, can I perhaps do them in my thigh instead.

Thanks 😉😉

• Posted

Forgot to mention that I had the injections in the top of my legs not my stomach. 
    • Posted

Janet, I read ur posting asking about anesthesia for the hysterectomy, which you posted a year ago.

i read that you had a spinal and also general.

did you get nausea from the general?  Did the spinal last in your system fr 2 days so the initial cramping and surgical pain was prevented and then by the time the spinal wore off....the pain was less? I hate general because I become extremely ill with throwing up and also the pain pills make me just as sick. Hope whatever they found inside is benign! 

• Posted

Hiya

I had my operation 6 months ago with the same midline cut as you. The injections also gave me horrible bruises but they are really important.

I gave my tummy a break for a few days and injected them into the outside of my thighs, these also bruised but wasn't too bad.

When I went back to doing them on my tummy, I found if I pinched the skin harder and continued to hold it for a couple of seconds after taking the needle out, it stung more but didn't bruise xx

• Posted

Great thank you for advice - I'll ask tomorrow when we go for my check up and results. Thank you 😉😉😉😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.