Input on my symptoms, please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor thinks I have acid reflux and esophagitis... But I'm not so sure. I've been put on omeprazole for the moment. My symptoms aren't too terrible, they consist of:

1. Excessive burping, that sometimes causes shortness of breath from the gas stuck in my chest/throat. Once I burp it out I'm fine!

2. Sometimes middle chest pain - it feels stabbing for 1-2 seconds. Mostly happens when I'm eating. I've been laying off spicy food.

3. Sometimes I'll have left chest pain for a couple of seconds also. Feels similar to the middle chest pain or feels stretching. I know this isn't heart related though because I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia and I've done an echocardiogram stress test that shows my heart is in fine condition.

4. I've only really felt heartburn once, which lasted for like three seconds under my left breast.

Does anyone have input about these symptoms? I have to go back to the doctor soon because he gave me the omeprazole for a month and it's almost out and my symptoms have relatively been the same. I'm also a relatively healthy person, 24 years old.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think there's any reason to doubt your Dr, all your symptoms seem consistent with what he thinka is wrong and the treatment seems right too

• Posted

Hmm ok. Maybe I'm just a bit impatient since nothing has really changed.

• Posted

It can take many months and many different relux meds, and also a change in lifestyle for dramatic changes to come around, for some things don't change very much. It just all depends on the individual, best results are typically with diet changes alongside the meds

• Posted

Ahhhh ok. Thanks. For the most part I've tried to avoid "bad" foods , caffeine, etc. I'm just scared it will get worse!

• Posted

I can only agree with jmcg1024 regarding medication and lifestyle changes. It does take a considerable time for these changes to take effect.

I was given 20mg of Omeprazole daily initially to treat my acid reflux.

This did not work very well, so my doctor then prescribed one 30 mg Lansoprazole daily for several weeks.

This did the trick for me.

I have now scaled back to 15mg Lansoprazole, plus 10ml Peptac before I go to bed.

It is extremely important to avoid certain foods and drinks, as I am sure you know already.

I avoid spicy foods, fatty foods, dairy foods and alcohol amongst others. I have also cut my caffeine intake dramatically.

I am also cutting out carbohydrate as much as possible to reduce sugar production and hence lose weight. I have already lost 21 pounds.

Another way to reduce your sugar intake is to replace breakfast cereals with porridge oats and soya milk.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.