Insane weight gain sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

So end of last year was said to be anxious ans deppresive (I dont agree but I am not a Dr and 5 months later I am alive still) I have being on sertraline since October time and gone from 50 up to 150mg in this time. Thr tablet may have helped BUT I have put about 50lbs on in this time and weigh 21 stone now. I am aware it is winter and christmas we all tend to indulge but the previous 28 years of my life I have gone up to about 17 stone over this period but normally about 16.5 stone throughout the year.

Now I have a quicker resting heart rate, high blood pressure and am now getting more depressed because I am fatter. Not to mention pains in and around my ribs, stomachs ans back which I assume is weight related. I am sick and tired of it the tablets work but this is a big negative and I really dont want to switch tablets. I am also not sleeping properly (get to sleep about 5am and up at about 9am) so this could also contiebute doctor dont want to prescribe sleeping tablets and said yes there is a weight gain but I have to control eating more and exercise more I am getting older this also effects metabolism not just tablets. But again exercise is getting hard because of the high blood pressure and pains also sweat like a pig now so is a vicious circle.

I am looking at slimnfast drink to swell up and make me feel full ir is there anyany dietsry aids? I am already taking apple cider vinegar but that doesn't seem to help

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would say by all means try the dietary aids you mention and see if they work for you but generally speaking they might assist you lose wgt but what you need is long term help, in my opinion, and once you stop drinking the diet drinks etc there is every liklihood that you will regain the wgt - possibly with interest!!! I would say that you need to change what is making you gain wgt and it is possible that some kind of counselling might help to control your eating habits and lifestyle traits - perhaps you could ask your GP for help in this respect - losing wgt can become a viscous circle of losing, gaining, losing and regaining if the route of the problem is not discovered. Another method of losing wgt is to join a wgt loss organisation/slimming club where group therapy is included in the dietary advice and sometimes that wkly weigh in keeps you committed and focussed? Exercise is a word you have mentioned briefly and it could be that your GP could also help in this respect by referring you to a local exercise class specifically for people with wgt problems - swimming is also a good exercise as it is non wgt bearing and will not put a strain on your joints - a personal trainer at a gym might also be able to design a course of action specifically for you taking into consideration your health status however that can be pricey and it depends on y0ur financial situation. Good luck and hope i have hit on something you have not previously considered

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.