Insect bite from Kenya/Is this dangerous?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been reading up on insect bites from Kenya, and I noticed a large, red bite on my arm the day I got back. I thought it was just a general mosquito bite. But I've been worrying it is some sort of larvae, due to the tropical area I went to. I've attached pictures of the bite, it's been about 3 weeks since I got back and I've only just noticed it again. Should I be worried?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend that you have these looked at. I went through the same some time back and ended up taking Quinine Sulphate, although I took all necessary precisions before I went.
    • Posted

It definitely doesn't look like a mosquito bite, I'm just worried it's a tumbu fly and it's laid it's eggs in my arm!
    • Posted

What you also need to think of, is if it is the eggs of a Tumbu fly, they will be growing and won't be long before they hatch.

To my knowledge, medically a local anesthetic before a small surgical incision to remove the eggs/larvae, then a sterile clean and a couple of sutures.

If it is just an abscise then, drain and and clean.

• Posted

that looks like it needs to be seen go a/e tell them where you have been when you noticed the bite . and check your suitcases and wash anything you brought back and dry them out side what bit you could have hitched a ride .
    • Posted

i thought the same could be a fly that laid eggs in your arm .A/E quick fast .
  • Posted

James,

I have exactly the same thing and wnt to Kenya. I am curious to find out what the Doctors said it was?

• Posted

yes hun gp or a/e tell them where youv been ,

get it sorted quick smart

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.