INSECT BITES: I find it interesting that no-one seems t...

Posted , 47 users are following.

INSECT BITES: I find it interesting that no-one seems to mention that an insect bite has been the cause of their cellulitis. I was hoping someone would have found a solution to this being a cause... after suffering two bouts of insect bite induced cellulitis, both which effectively put paid to summer for me, one incident meant I was hospitalised and on a drip for two days followed by 10 days of twice daily visits by nurses to administer intravenous anti-biotics plus recovery time afterwards, the other last year, required frequent visits by GP's to drain the horrendous giant yellow blisters that occur through this infection - and again I was off work for 5 weeks at the height of summer and more importantly missed out on booked holidays to boot, I was really hoping someone had found a solution to be being infected in the first place!

If anyone has suffered cellulitis as a result of insect bite and has found a way of preventing this, please let me know! Now that summer is almost here I don't intend to sunbathe in my garden, or even go in my garden without wearing long trousers and mosquito repellent as a back up. It really spoils summer for me now as cellulitis is so painful it's frightening. I'd do anything not to get it again!

Also, does anyone suffer problems with the place where the blisters have been? I seem to suffer frequent itching and soreness on the patch where the blisters have been and wonder if this means there's underlying infection there?

Being someone who looks after themselves, is fit and active and tries to keep healthy, I find this condition really difficult to cope with, I get very distressed as when I've first been infected and the pain is at it's worst I have to get friends to stay with me to look after me as I can't even get to the bathroom unaided, it's so painful, even childbirth wasn't as bad, at least that ended after a relatively short time... this goes on for days and days and days! And no sleep!

And I agree with the lady from Spain, doctors here don't zap it with the right strength of anti-biotics if you get it really badly, that's why i ended up in hospital the first time - if I get it again I'm going to insist on the double dose of different anti-biotics they have ended up using both times as single dose of one anti-biotic did absolutely nothing and meant that it got much worse than it needed to have been.

Apologies if none of this helps anyone, but it makes me feel a lot better to know that others have suffered as I have as no-one else I know has had this, and doesn't know how bad it is sad

[i:50fff95a39]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:50fff95a39]

5 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been bitten 4x times - 1x wrist / 1x calf & 2x on my knee.

Throughout the day I was in a lot of pain & itching. A lot of redness appeared & I seeked medical attention. I was fobbed off with Augmentin oral tablets (625mg) I took the full dose & it would not get better. I then seeked further advice from my local nurse who gave me a different coarse of antibiotics Flucloxacillin (500mg), whilst taking them I noticed I started to go downhill rapid. The swelling to my wrist/calf & knee was massive. Redness also kept spreading with unbearable burning pain & I also felt very ill, every joint hurting/back pain/headaches/sickness/cough. I seeked further medical attention back to the same hospital & was rushed to the medical assessment unit. Blood tests was carried out/ heart & lung tests/ blood pressure.

They resorted to carrying out IV drip immediately. I am now on my 5th day of IV antibiotics & still feel very poorly. I must state that the M.A.U have been fantastic & the IV antibiotics have started reducing the swelling & redness. Still feel rough & advised to take a week off work to recoup.

But I must also clarify that the NHS must not just fob off patients with oral antibiotics if confirmed by insects/spider bites, as I feel they must carry more bacteria/venom. This illness has caused me great discomfort & loss of earnings. I know some people have a low pain barrier, but I only seek medical attention if really poorly. If I was referred to the M.A.U firstly I may not be in this predicament & £18.00 out of pocket (which is of prescription fees)

lets hope for better understanding by the doctors.....

• Posted

I just had cellulitis from a bug bite for a third time and I had to insist on IV of antibiotics. You would think they have some protocols for treatment of such a dangerous condition ! 
    • Posted

Hi Lara - Sometimes these docs don't want you to build up an immunity to drug and will try other methods to deal with it. I'm usually prescribed Amoxi-Clav 875 and one time was admitted into the hospital with an IV of the same drug. You mentioned the 3rd time. How far apart were your episodes? Be sure to keep your legs covered and use whatever means you need to, to prevent the bites. Stay well.. 

• Posted

I have the same thing happen  to me and does it hurt to walk on it 
  • Posted

I also get cellulitis after being bitten.  I now notify my doctor in advance when I will be travelling.  He sends with me keflex, 2% hydrocortisone cream, prednisone and an epipen.  I have learned that I must start treatment as soon as I notice the bites.

My legs still swell enourmously, but I am usually recovered after 3 days.

The bruises take several weeks to dissipate afterwards.  I assumed that I was allergic to the bites and got tested.  It turned out I was not allergic. It's comforing to see that I am not alone in this reaction.

• Posted

Suffering the same Jennifer i now follow these steps.

1) Use Avon Skin so Soft Dry oil body spray before i even think of going in my garden and for bed if windows have been open..

( Apparently troops use this in Afghanistan for mosquito repellent and my friend uses it on her horse to keep flies away and friends i have recommended it to swear by it ..

2) Failing step one (Stupidly) if i do get bitten rubbing on ammonia based After Bite white pen like stick from chemist as soon as bitten as possible...

3) Failing above steps and swelling starts i now know if i don't get Flucloxacillin within 24hrs...500mg 4x a day for 7days i will be in big trouble...

having stupidly forgotten steps 1&2 last weekend at a friends barbecue I managed to get the antibiotics quick so my ankle was only swollen to massive, hard, red crawling up your leg itching for three days...Phew! It's no fun having leg elevated for three days and itching so bad you have to keep running cold water tap in bath over leg to cool it down...haven't got time for it..I'm afraid if my doctor had refused me the medication i know i need they would have to physically remove me from the surgery...

This was my first bout for several years through my own stupidity...i won't forget my tried and tested step 1&2 preventative measures again in a hurry..

How does the epipen work do u have to use it pretty quick.

Angie x

• Posted

Sorry for your discomforts, but thank you for the tips! I'm just in my second bout of cellulitis this summer set off by an insect bite. I have some of the Avon spray oil so I wiil try it straight away. Hope it works for me too. So far the only thing i found to relieve the itching is to 'scratch' through or rub with a wash flannel mitrolleyes.

AB

• Posted

I was diagnosed with cellulitis 3 days ago. I first noticed it 10 days ago. It was about an inch across, a roundish patch of, red, hot skin that seemed thicker than the surrounding flesh. It was like a 1/4" thick piece of rubber under the skin, the consistency of the spongy mouse pads. I could feel all the edges of it. I tried various salves and antibacterial creams on it, for the next 4 days, but it grew to the witdth of a large hamburger patty. It felt like a sunburn, but wasn't painful or itchy, just hot and a bit stiff and red.

It's in a real awkward spot, at the very top of my leg, bodered on one side by my groin, and on the adjacent side by the bottom of  my butt cheek. I need to pick up my leg and use a mirror and a flashlight to look at it.

I am pretty sure this was a result of a spider bite, probably while I was sleeping, but it's also possible it crawled up my shorts while I was squatting in the garden.

My doctor prescribed Augmentin 825 pills, 2X a day, and putting hot compresses on the area for 20 minutes, every 4 hours (I'm doing it 3x daily). She also drew a circle around it with a permanent marker (that I have refreshed a few times) with instructions to go to the ER immediately for IV antibiotics if the affected area crossed over the line. She also agreed that it probably was the result of a spider bite.

At her advice I am also taking probiotics, one capsule a day. I'm using my wife's capsules that contains the 50 billion probiotic cells of 14 strains, that she gets on Amazon. They are expensive (about $1.13 per capsule) but her dentist recommended them, and they seem to have helped her gums.

I take the antibiotics on rising and before bed. I eat about a quarter of a muffin with butter and jam, then take the antibiotic, then finish the muffin. My doctor warned me to take the Augmentin 825 with food. I take the probiotic on an empty stomach in the early afternoon. 

I'm on my 4th day of antibiotics, and the cellulitis seems to be getting a bit paler and thinner under the skin, so  it seems to be responding to the meds and maybe to the hot compresses and probiotics too. 

I'm 67 and never had this before. I had blood transfusions about 7 months ago (8 pints of whole blood) and wonder if my new blood made me susceptible. I hope this continues to go well. If I weren't retired I wouldn't be able to do the hot compresses three times a day.

• Posted

Hello, Bob...I have found this terrific site trying thinking I may have cellulitis myself.  Just thinking about the awkward spot of your infection I thought of my sister.  She had what appeared to be a large bite that appeared to resemble more of a pimples.  With the help of her skin doctor, she was immediately diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa.  It often appears at the groin or in areas of lymph nodes.  From what she has read, she was extremely lucky on getting this correct dignosis immediately as it is often confused with other ailments and so many suffer before correctly being diagnosed.  Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

I suffer with this and two years ago had a really bad bout....I always get bitten down my own garden mainly and mostly in the evenings...I try to water my plants in the mornings as mosquitos love the damp conditions and me even more....

The last visit to the doctors she gave me antibiotics which sorted it out...having it before i didn't hang about.....BUT!!!!!! She did say that i needed from then on to use repellent every time...as a preventative more than needing a cure every time...THIS IS WHAT SHE RECOMMENDED....

"AVON SKIN SO SOFT ORIGINAL DRY OIL SPRAY" (the one with the blue slash/swirl on the front. Apparently the troops in Afghanistan use it.

I have used this since and have had no problems at all, i gave some to different friends going to India and Ghana and they were delighted they had no problems.....and nor have i until today...went to a friends barbecue stayed out pretty ( ran out of spray...because i give it away for others to try)

Soooo here i go off to Docs again with redness spreading rapidly....I do have some more oil on order but a bit too late.

The good thing is the dry oil is cheap and smells ok but don't spray on a shiny floor surface as it makes very slippery which could be lethal....

Good Luck and hope this helps x

• Posted

The Augmentin 825 for 10 days and the hot compresses 3x a day for 20 minutes (I'm on day 14 of 15 for the compresses) seems to have sorted it out. Through googling I came to the conclusion that I had Erysipelas rather than cellulitis. Erysipelas is a milder form of cellulitis that doesn't penetrate as far. The two main differences from regular cellulitis is that Erysipelas has a distinct border and the area is raised with distinct ridges on the borders (mine were about 1/4 inch high), Erysipelas doesn't form pus or ooze or form a head. Also, although I had fever, chills, night sweats, and the area was red and hot, it never itched or was painful. It felt stiff like a sunburn.
  • Posted

I was first diagnosed with cellulitis in Australia after a spider bite.  The bite sing like crazy I held it under cold running water but couldn't get rid of the burning sensation.  I tried painkillers, antihistamines, hydrocortisone but nothing was working. My skin became hot and swollen so I soothed it with ice and swimming in the pool eased the burn. After 3 days of this it was getting worse. Nothing got rid of the burn and i was living in the pool just to get some relief from the pain. My skin was blistering and the rash covered my entire calf muscle. I went to a local chemist. They sent me straight to the hospital for antibiotics. A mix of Flucloxacillin, feet elevated and keeping it cool seemed to do the trick.  

That was December 2011. Since then I have had several episodes of insect bites leading to cellulitis and arguments with doctors and A&E departments. Yes it is an insect bite. No I haven't scratched it (because the pain is so bad I don't want the air to touch it never mind my hand) it doesn't look bad now but if you don't give me antibiotics it will get worse quite rapidly. 

I have had  blisters that were bigger than my hand with the rash spreading from my ankle to my thigh and rashes start on my hips and waist before my GP was convinced the Flucloxacillin wasn't working I may need stronger penicillin. 

I have discovered that the Antisan cream (if applied quickly) is a fantastic prevention.  I sit here now with cellulitis in my ankle, for the second time this month because I left my Antisan at home. The swelling is so bad there is no definition in my ankle, the blister is the size of a 10p and oozing, and I have the burning sensation but no rash. This could be because I finished taking Flucloxacillin 2 days ago. But because no rash the GP refuses to diagnose cellulitis. Its just an angry insect bite, probably a horse fly or mosquito he told me. No it was a midge bite I saw it and killed it. Fed up with the losing battle I was sent home with some betnovate steroid cream. It does help with the burn but only for an hour and I can only use it twice a day and the rash is starting to appear. I predict an A&E visit tomorrow for some penicillin. ... joy!

I will try the hot compress suggested above to see if it helps.

• Posted

Good luck. Please advise if the compresses help. Here in NJ, USA,  my doctor drew a circle around the red patch which was a raised red oval about 4 inches across, and said if it continued to spread past the circle by the second day of oral antibiotics (Augmentin 875 every 12 hours), I was to immediately check myself into the ER and request IV antibiotics.
  • Posted

Hi, I got my first bout of cellulitis last month from a gnat bite I didn't know what was happening until I went to the dr. It was on my ankle & it was hard a red & swollen not to mention the heat coming off it & it seriously hurt to walk on it. We'll I got bit again last nite & I have it again, another trip to the dr for antibiotics. I have never been bitten by gnats until I started taking blood pressure tablets recently & I wondered if it is linked with what I'm taking? Would anybody know the answer to this?
    • Posted

Hi Tina i have pasted and copied this reply i sent to Jennifer higher up the post ... if it is getting u again and again u need to start preventative measures as too many lots of antibiotics is not good ...

hope it is some help.

about being linked with blood pressure tabs i wouldn't know...

Angie x

• Posted

Suffering the same Jennifer i now follow these steps.

1) Use Avon Skin so Soft Dry oil body spray before i even think of going in my garden and for bed if windows have been open..

( Apparently troops use this in Afghanistan for mosquito repellent and my friend uses it on her horse to keep flies away and friends i have recommended it to swear by it ..

2) Failing step one (Stupidly) if i do get bitten rubbing on ammonia based After Bite white pen like stick from chemist as soon as bitten as possible...

3) Failing above steps and swelling starts i now know if i don't get Flucloxacillin within 24hrs...500mg 4x a day for 7days i will be in big trouble...

having stupidly forgotten steps 1&2 last weekend at a friends barbecue I managed to get the antibiotics quick so my ankle was only swollen to massive, hard, red crawling up your leg itching for three days...Phew! It's no fun having leg elevated for three days and itching so bad you have to keep running cold water tap in bath over leg to cool it down...haven't got time for it..I'm afraid if my doctor had refused me the medication i know i need they would have to physically remove me from the surgery...

This was my first bout for several years through my own stupidity...i won't forget my tried and tested step 1&2 preventative measures again in a hurry..

How does the epipen work do u have to use it pretty quick.

Angie x

• Posted

Hi, Ive just joined because I found all these remarks so enlightening. In May I went to Hong Kong and was bitten by something - probably mosqueto but I didn't see it. Within a few days the bites had gone from small and itchy to large and painful, then on to huge blisters! And the pain!! I've never seen anything like it before, I took pics eek. Hubby was wrapping cold towels round my ankles. My daughter was saying burst the blisters, I was always taught NOT to burst blisters so had no idea what to do for the best. Anyway, was returning to UK within days. On return, blisters intact, covered with dressings, there was a redness creeping up my legs, not lines, more like a blush or redness from too much sun. But still very painful. I decided to go to the chemist, they said if not better after weekend go to the docs. They were really not better at all so I ended up at the out of hours doctor, one bite was infected, so he burst it, the other burst while there, this was in the local hosital. I had dressings on them. Just as well because he told me he had no dressings! ("A"?? in a hospital??) However, he gave me Flucloxacillin. Took the course, bit better but then began feeling strange again, back to docs, another prescription of the same. Finished that course and felt a bit better. The blisters finally came off in a sort of plastic looking crust (URGH) I'm left with large red branding marks! which are fading now. What helped most was bread & milk poultices (and the antibiotics) I have to say I have not felt really well since coming back. Then I got an odd cold thing, don't think it can be connected, slight nausea, headache, low grade fever with temperature fluctuating, wiped me out for a week. I shall certainly get som SSS Oil, the only thing I've seen as a bite preventative is deet. Thank you for all the information.

Dee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.