INSECT BITES: I find it interesting that no-one seems t...

Posted , 47 users are following.

INSECT BITES: I find it interesting that no-one seems to mention that an insect bite has been the cause of their cellulitis. I was hoping someone would have found a solution to this being a cause... after suffering two bouts of insect bite induced cellulitis, both which effectively put paid to summer for me, one incident meant I was hospitalised and on a drip for two days followed by 10 days of twice daily visits by nurses to administer intravenous anti-biotics plus recovery time afterwards, the other last year, required frequent visits by GP's to drain the horrendous giant yellow blisters that occur through this infection - and again I was off work for 5 weeks at the height of summer and more importantly missed out on booked holidays to boot, I was really hoping someone had found a solution to be being infected in the first place!

If anyone has suffered cellulitis as a result of insect bite and has found a way of preventing this, please let me know! Now that summer is almost here I don't intend to sunbathe in my garden, or even go in my garden without wearing long trousers and mosquito repellent as a back up. It really spoils summer for me now as cellulitis is so painful it's frightening. I'd do anything not to get it again!

Also, does anyone suffer problems with the place where the blisters have been? I seem to suffer frequent itching and soreness on the patch where the blisters have been and wonder if this means there's underlying infection there?

Being someone who looks after themselves, is fit and active and tries to keep healthy, I find this condition really difficult to cope with, I get very distressed as when I've first been infected and the pain is at it's worst I have to get friends to stay with me to look after me as I can't even get to the bathroom unaided, it's so painful, even childbirth wasn't as bad, at least that ended after a relatively short time... this goes on for days and days and days! And no sleep!

And I agree with the lady from Spain, doctors here don't zap it with the right strength of anti-biotics if you get it really badly, that's why i ended up in hospital the first time - if I get it again I'm going to insist on the double dose of different anti-biotics they have ended up using both times as single dose of one anti-biotic did absolutely nothing and meant that it got much worse than it needed to have been.

Apologies if none of this helps anyone, but it makes me feel a lot better to know that others have suffered as I have as no-one else I know has had this, and doesn't know how bad it is sad

[i:50fff95a39]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:50fff95a39]

5 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I, too have been hospitalized for bug bites, fortunately I have a cipro prescription at all times and it helps. As soon as I know it's turning into cellulitis, I start it. Just happened yesterday to me again! Was in Oklahoma for work, starts out like a mosquito bite and excels from there. Good luck
    • Posted

Forgive my ignorance Lisa but what precisely is a cipro prescription? I've currently my 2nd bout of cellulitis (my first having been 10 years ago) which I contracted 8 weeks ago & since there was such a large timeframe between the two I actually thought that the reason that I felt so rough/odd/weak was that I had caught influenza/the flu. If it hadn't been for my wife insisting that I go to the hospital I shudder to think of what condition I would be in now
    • Posted

Please don't take CIPRO,VIOX OR LEVAQUIN THEY ARE POISEN PUT ME IN A WHEEL CHAIR,PERIFRIAL NEUROPATHY PLEASE DON,T TAKE THEM AND PASS IT ON IF YOU DON,T BELEIVE ME LOOK UP FLORQUINILONES OR FLOXIES AND YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.
  • Posted

Mine started with a tick bite, It's been  nearly two months now. I am angry to be a low come patient in Georgia, U.S., which means my care has been very minimal and inadequate. I had to borrow a laptop last week and make my nurse practitioner, my only healthcare option, look at the progress of my leg in photos and LISTEN to me. She had taken me off of antibiotics after 2 weeks. I made her put me back on them Thursday.  I've had to turn to natural home remedies to help keep the skin moist and sterile. I now spend most of my days with legs elevated. I spent some time up this afternoon cooking dinner (moving around as much as possible) and the worst area (scabbed and a red area around it) swelled and started looking purple, but the pain grade is low to none. My leg isn't numb I do press and check, low grade pain will occur when pressed.. This problem started decreasing by going back to bed, and using a warm compress. I am so frustrated I could scream.  I think I am doing some right things but why are some  healthcare providers so slack in treating conditions like this? I know part of the problem here is, frankly, a disinterest in keeping low income people alive.Our governor wants to end our emergency room care if we can't pay up front. Patients either figure things out for themselves or suffer. Or both. Horrid.
  • Posted

I am wondering now about drainage from blisters, etc. Mine is a clear orange liquid that stings, just as the main pain in my leg is stinging. I've had extremely little pus. Is the clear drainage a toxin? Is that related to the insect bite or a general problem with cellulitis? It is so aggravating having to figure this out by trial and error!
  • Posted

Just a suggestion but ask your GP for a thyroid function test.  If you have an underactive thyroid you are not as effective when fighting an infection from a bite and then cellulitis that follows.  After consecutive bouts of insect bite related cellulitis my GP did a full blood screen and hypothyroidism was diagnosed.  Since being medicated for this condition I have been bitten and only had a very minor inflammatory reaction.  Of course you can't get accurate results from any blood tests when you are "hot/infected" so best to get this done when you don't have a bite or taking antibiotics.
  • Posted

Hope your feeling better. I was bit by something in my sleep. I scratched it and it became infected. I could barely walk before I went to the ER.they cut it open and placed wick in the abscess. I went to my GP got a shot. It's been 2 mos and the area is still inflamed and my heart feels tight and I can't think straight. I think there's packing material in the abscess I've told the Dr's but all they do is prescribe more antibiotics, also have noticed a small lump in my armpit. It's terrible I can't do anything normal.

• Posted

2   I have been treated for reaction to a common house spider bite (or contact) which

has caused cellulitis in my left calf, foot and ankle. At one time, the mound of

swelling at the location of the "bite" was as large as a fist.  I was given one of

the drugs listed as effective against spider bites and while there has been some

relief, my whole left leg has cellulitis, with the foot (site of the spiter bite) being

only slightly swollen/three weeks after the "bite.  I have felt strong cold chills and cannot stand the A/C

blowing directly on me.  I have tried soaking my leg, up to my knee in warm

(not hot water) followed by application of a thick lotion, without fragrance.  This

procedure has helped my skin feel less taut.  I have been wearing white

knee socks with lycra content to support and cover the swollen area, for

warmth. 

I have read that the correct antibiotic for spider contact is one which would

kill both staphococcus and streptococcus bacteria.  Thus far, no physicians

have prescribed this type of antibiotic.  I believe the correct antibiotic prep.

would heal the cause of my cellulitis.  I believe the antibiotic is in the peni-

cillin family and I have had adverse reactions to  some penicillin RX drugs.

In reading the accounts of long term cellulitis , I have read that this can

lead to Lymphodema which is very serious.  My white blood cell count is 

Much higher than it should be, which indicates an infection in my body.

Getting physicians to believe this cellulitis is a reaction to a common house

spider bite (or saliva contact) is the first step to getting the correct treat-

ment.  I will appreciate any advice from a similar experience of being bitten

by a common house spider or other insect which led to cellulitis and most

of all, has anyone been given the correct RX which I have described.

4-29-1016 

• Posted

Hi Jo - Amoxi Clav 875 or Augmentin would be considered part of the penicillin family, no? That is my doctor's choice when I have a cellulitis episode. The latest one required a two day hospitalization. I received Amoxi Clav via an IV drip and also orally.
    • Posted

Hello, Glenn--Thanks for the RX info.  I have intense cellulitis in one leg

and mild in the other/feet both swollen, very red and puffy.  I have an

appointment with my Cardiologist on Tuesday, May 3, 2016.  This

Cardio Md recognized the puffy reaction and spider "bite" when I

was there for a routine exam (had rec'd bite two days before--did

not go to ER, knew it was a common house spider/got in BR shoe.)

I did see my Internist Md the day of the "bite"/not swollen badly,

but this Md wanted an ER trip/ evaluation of possible Congestive

Heart Failure episode.  I told the Internist that I might wait a couple

of days as I had the Cardio Md appt/actually knew I was not having

symptoms of Cong. Heart Failure, due to prior episodes, during which

I had difficulty breathing, would get bad gagging reflex/need oxygen

+ Nitro-glycerin bead + Lasix diuretic, (via IV in hospital) to overcome-

usually a 5-day visit.  This usually removes 9 lbs. of excess fluids.

I ended up going to our ER about 10 days later, due to intense swelling

in my left foot and calf of left leg.  I was given Clindamycin, for "possible  

reaction to something, maybe an insect bite", (per ER Phys. diagnosis).

6 days later I kept appt. with my Internist Md for ER follow-up and he

demanded I go immediately to the ER/even though I informed him that

my Cardio Md had diagnosed, by glance: an insect bite from type of

swelling/no Cong. Heart problems as my lungs were clear and my

blood pressure was normal---and this Cardio had suggested: "Keep

an eye on that foot and leg and if worse, go to the ER". 

This second ER visit revealed the same "high white blood count of

about 14,000" (normal is high of 11,000) which reveals I have

come into contact with bacteria/causing the cellulitis.  I have done

much online research--Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic, mainly. 

Spiders--any--carry both the streptococcus and staphlococcus

bacteria.  Yes, Augmentin was suggested and another drug, in

the penicillin family (have reactions to that family of drugs) are

best at killing both strep and staph bacteria.  Spiders carry

Staphlococcus aureus.  Their sputum used to spin webs

must be very nasty stuff. 

I feel and Internist feels I now have Lymphedema, from the

cellulitis.  Still, the Internist believes spiders don't bite--except

for two in my area of the US.  I told him I don't have very much

faith in MDs right now and almost broke down into tears on phone.

Finally.................. 

MD made an emergency appt. for me with my Cardio, MD whom

he does not feel has 100% knowledge of full heart function, due

to the fact that he is the Pacemaker "guy".  He is 100% wrong,

as this intelligent Cardio has been the only one able to explain

my hypertrophic cardiomyopathy to me, correctly. 

The only help for this illness, known to U.S. Drs. is the procedure of using an IV to place alcohol into one's veins to destroy a portion of

the heart, a procedure not planned for me/and one I would refuse.

I have an enlarged left ventricle, happened after a viral illness-2008

during which I coughed violently -like Whooping Cough-5-week ill-

ness.  Evidently my blood pressure/with not being on BP-RX was

so high that it caused my ventricle to enlarge.  This Md checked my

lungs several times, but did not check my heart as well/noticed a

murmur at the end of this 5-wk illness/asked if I ever had an Echo-

cardiogram.  Not since 1995-6, when a dentist ordered an echo

and pre-med RX before any DDS procedure, I replied.  So, the

echo test was done about 2 hours later and revealed enlarged

left ventricle. 

(I take Diltiazem ER Capsules, 90 mg. 3X per day, and 50 mg.

of Losartan 2x per day, which slows down my blood pressure

and keeps arteries from thickening.)  I am telling you this in case

you are aware of any side effects.  I really love this RX--feel great

with no "funny" head feelings,like others.   However, there could

be long-term side effects.  I have heard that Diltiazem is given to

on-stage actors to calm anxiety---stage fright ! 

Thankfully, I have a living will.   Excuse long explanation, but

maybe you can help or know someone who could help me.

I dread the Zika mosquitos this summer/w/o vaccine as these

horrible creatures may cause much illness/don't go out much

and use mosquito repellent---am worried to death for child

bearing aged women.

Any advice will be appreciated when you have time to reply ! 

Thanks, Jo  Late night or early AM   4-30-2016

• Posted

I too have been all of a sudden been inflicted with cellulite type infections. The first time was 2 weeks ago, I got out of bed to go to work and thought I was bitten by a spider on the hand as I had two bumps next to my thumb but with in a day my whole hand was swollen and the the two bumps had ooze coming from them. I went to urgent care and they said I had cellulite. Today I again woke up to a spot on my forearm and I returned to the doctor to have a recheck on my hand, on the way there I found another lump in the crease of my elbow. The doctor had no clue what I had but said when it gets worse to return if it is oozing so they can get a culture from it. REALLY!!! I don't like these eruptions like yourself and no one can tell me what is causing them.
  • Posted

I have just seen your post and find it very interesting as I am just getting over my second bout of cellulitis and keep saying it must be associated with an insect bite that I had years ago but it blistered in the exact same place as the cellulitis occurs on my ankle.
  • Posted

This is the second time I have experienced cellulitis and this time it was caused by a mosquito bite.  I am so happy to have found this thread and to know I'm not (crazy!) or alone!

• Posted

I got cellulitis from bedbug bites. Last Thursday I went to my doctor to renew my prescriptions. She told me that the redness on both my legs will fade but would not go completely away. I use to have enough hair on my head for 2 people but  I lost most of it due to having servere cellulitis. My hair is co thin now that you can see my ears through my hair. The good news is that my hair is growing back again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.