Inserting pessary yourself

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello ladies

Had a tvt and anterior repair in April 2015, and when I saw consultant's registrar about 3 months later was told that I had a Grade 1 posterior wall prolapse - thought I could feel something. No treatment, just physiotherapy for PF. She says my pelvic floor is good. Saw consultant who said that he would not operate - I'm ok with that - but go down the pessary route, which I agreed with. Now he has given me a pessary which I will take out each evening and insert each morning so that "You will be in control" . Julie the nurse will send you an appointment to show you how to do it and the is an App. Well I have been on uTube and am doing it, but how do I know I am doing it correctly? Is it going into the right place. I still feel a bit of a bulge as I did when I saw him, but he said that it wasn't the prolapse. I don't know what it is supposed to look like "down there" never looked before this started!!! I am 67. Anyone help me with this do it yourself pessary???

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Celia, what is a TVT?

i have just had a A&P and I can only give you my exsperiance I could see a big fleshed lump at the neck of the vagina, but everyone is different.

matron will be on line at some point and she will advise you Lv.

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

tvt is a mesh sling for stress incontinence, holds the bladder up. I too can see a fleshy lump at the entrance to the vagina, didn't know if it was there before and thought it was the prolapse.

• Posted

Hi Gillian

no, I had stress in continence and a small bulge. Takes over your life doesn't it? 

• Posted

Hi Lv, you are not kidding it does, I have never been ill until I got to 48 and omg did things start to go wrong, are you feeling ok today love?
    • Posted

I'm ok, keep telling myself I haven't got a life-threatening illness, it's just inconvenient!  Supposed to take out and insert the pessary daily, if I was diabetic I would have to inject myself every day, so it' s not.  so bad. This started with me about 3 years  ago when I was 64, and like you, very healthy.
    • Posted

Hi Lv I was in with a lady who had been using the ring and pessery, she decided to have the op and went in same time as me and had A&P and hystorectomy, why don't you get a second opinion and ask them to help you when you are there to put it in chic
    • Posted

Will wait to see the nurse who will show me how to insert and remove - although how the consultant thought I was going to do it until then I don't know! - and see how it goes. He has said he won't operate as it is only grade 1 and it is a more serious operation than the cystoscele. I am ok with that really. If I am not happy after a while I will ask to see another consultant. Hope you will be ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.