Insertional Achilles Tendinitis with bone spur...Help!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i have been suffering with this condition for the last 6 months.  Ive tried 3 rounds of shockwave therapy, physio and seen a biokintesist.  I have also been running in custom made orthotics for the last 5 years without any issues at all.  My question is has anyone recovered from this without surgery?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

6 or 7 months earlier I went the non surgery route. Was on temporary disability for almost 5 months, came back to work this past April only to be in more pain. After all that I ended up having to have surgery. Surgery was on July 28th and I am in physical therapy. I am recovering very well now and am due back to work thee d of this month.

So, I say that to say the non surgery route did not work for me.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm seeing the doc on Monday so will know more then. How have you found the recovery process?

• Posted

To be totally honest with you my recovery has been long and at times emotionally draining. But, thanks to my family and friends and yes, this website, has helped keep my sanity. It helped a lot to know that I wasn't the only one going through this and that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

As of yesterday my physical therapist had me walking with a cane but without the boot! Yes, I'm walking with a limp and with a little pain but I walked! I go back to work at the end of the month so she wants me to use a cane for the first couple of weeks.

• Posted

How did you get the bone spur/ tendinitis? Did you have a large spur? Sorry for all the questions 🙈

• Posted

I tore the tendon in my Achilees heel while coming down the stairs one day.  I had a heel spur too but that wasn't what got me to surgery.  When my surgeon repaired the tendon, he also took out the spur.  Praise the lord!

• Posted

did the heel spur irritate you before you tore the tendon?
    • Posted

Yes, I had off and on problems with heel spurs in the past. After my surgery I was not able to walk in my foot so ai hopped around using a walker. I think having all my weight on my other foot has caused problems with the good foot. Sigh. But my left foot had no tear so I just do the exercises on that foot as well.
    • Posted

No, I tore it when I was coming down stairs. Came down too fast and skipped the last step and came down hard on my foot. The pain was excruciating and it started to swell Immediately.
    • Posted

Oh wow sounds very painful. I'm worried that surgery is the only option for my bone spurs. Was very active before and now can barely do anything.

• Posted

I know all about not being able to do anything anymore and that's not living. Trust when I tell you that I was scared to death about opting for surgery but it was the best thing I could have done. When your feet are in pain, everything is in pain. I also learned that prolonging the inevitable only makes it works. In the end you have to make the right decision for you.

• Posted

Thanks for chatting to me about it. Doc appointment is Monday so will hopefully have answers then. 
    • Posted

Hi saw the doc today. Basically surgery is my option but its not urgent so can manage the symptoms until Im ready to do it.  The recovery is quite daunting....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.