Insights needed please

Posted , 4 users are following.

have been feeling unwell for a few weeks, fatigue, muscle aches etc...blood work fine I.e normal haemoglobin but ferritin 3, iron 2.7 and transferrin saturation 3%. Am very confused as some sites saying I would have no symptoms as haemoglobin is ok and others saying I would...any help appreciated...

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi your ferritin is low this is your iron stores which can make you feel all the symptoms of anemia. I found out I was anemic in January my hemoglobin was low and ferritin really low so they put me on iron tablets my hemoglobin is now in normal range but ferritin is still on the low side and I still have symptoms. My doctor told me it takes 4-6 months to replenish your iron stores so it's a slow process building it up.
  • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. It's just so confusing when some doctors tell me my low ferritin would not cause symptoms and others say it would! Can you let me know what your symptoms are? Thanks againĀ 
    • Posted

I think low ferritin is the beginning of anemia so once your ferritin gets low it will soon start to affect your hemoglobin I'm sure that's what my doctor said. The symptoms I have just now are I'm tired a lot I get lightheaded and muscle aches legs and arms this gets worse around my period. When I had low hemoglobin my symptoms were heart palpation's short of breath lightheaded tired pale skin. I had my bloods took again on Wednesday to check my iron levels but don't know what they were yet
    • Posted

I feel the same, I am having hard periods (almost a month in a raw) and the doctor said that my hemoglobin was 8. I am waiting for more results. Question: I start having body aches today and headache and feeling like fever or warm, can't get up from bed, I feel so weak, is it part of the symptoms too?
  • Posted

Hi my ferritin was low and my hemoglobin normal. At ferritn 16 I had a lot of symptoms... tired, light headed, palpitaions, numbness, headaches, tingling, chest pains etc etc.. The doctor also told me my low ferritn was not causing my symptoms and said I was suffering from anxiety! I did have some anxiety but this was only caused by all my symtoms! I have been taking iron tablets for 6 mopnths nearly and Im still not 100%, but I'm nowhere near as bad as I was. Unfortunately my low iron was caused by heavy periods which are only just improving so its a very slow process building my iron stores up!
    • Posted

Hi do u still suffer anxiety ? My anxiety all started when found out I was anemic and low ferritin had palpatations chest pain lightheadedness and lots more. I have been taking iron for 3 mthe and still feel rubbish some days but not sure if this is down to ferritin still being low or anxiety x
    • Posted

Sometimes yes, but I still belive this is because my ferritin levels aren't high enough. My anxiety only started when I started to feel rubbish and the palpitaions and light headedness started. I still have good and bad days but feel its generally moving in the right direction. I think its a slow process and as frustrating as it is it will get better :-) I'm due to be re-tested, but although I think it will have gone up i don't think it will be as high as you would expect after 6 months of taking iron tablets etc... It will get easier, and hopefully as the symptoms go the anxiety will too x
    • Posted

I feel the same as u I never had any anxiety problems or any ting like that until I got the symptoms of anemia the hospital and doctor said I had anxiety until actually looked at my blood tests which showed I was really anemic. The lightheadedness is the worst for me that's what causes all my anxiety I think . I don't tolerate iron tablets very well so I'm only on 1 a day so it's a very slow process for me I had bloods taken last week so get results tomorrow hopefully up a bit x
    • Posted

No I've never had anxiety before. What were your levels originally? The light headedness was constant for me at ferritin level 16, it was awful. Let us know how you get on with your results x
    • Posted

My hemoglobin was 8.9 and my ferritin I can't remember but said it was very low. My hemoglobin cane up to 11 after 2 months but ferritin hadn't came up all that much so hoping this time will have came up a bit more x
    • Posted

Hi I have to go back tomorrow for more bloods there was a problem with my sample so needs done again. How about u?
    • Posted

Ah what a pain for you! Not had mine done yet, hoping to go this week, maybe wednesday x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.