Insoles for shoes

Posted , 13 users are following.

Help! Got OA in both knee's. In pain constantly. Cannot find a comfy pair of shoes or trainers to wear. Read recently about molded insoles and wondered if anyone had tried them? I'm assuming that the way I walk throws out my natural alignment

and by the time I get home my knee's, ankles and feet kill me.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I found made to measure orthotics brilliant and although i went to a private podiatrist I think you can be referred for them by your doc. but maybe those are off the peg- not so good. Also  helped  were vulcan knee braces (with a knee hole)- you can get these on line with or without a side support which can be slotted in anyway  so is optional. They get a bit hot in summer but are washable. i would not go anywhere without them and even found one night I had them on in bed!!! Recent ones have come up a little but smaller than size indicated so bear that in mind.. Trainers- I am 9.5AA so you can imagine that is a nighhtmare but I usually settle for Propet and have also just bought "Hotter" shoes which although wide and only a 9  seem to be OK because the spacious toe gives more length. A little loose at heel but socks and heel grips will help with that. Make sure you get lace ups for adjustable width . I have just ordered a pair called Josie" which have removable insoles so you can replace with orthotics without being lifted out of the shoe. WIll let you know how these  are but ordered is delayed for  month presumably because of size!

• Posted

I had special inserts made for me.  Waiting for them t come in but appears they will realign and take a way the pain.  Time will tell.  I have shoes fromG ermany that I wear that help tremedously.  They have a metatarsil ridge that removes stress for walking.
    • Posted

Where can you get these german shoes? Can you get a pair in the United States? What is the name? 
  • Posted

Due to a major accident and damage to one ankle, my gait is misaligned too, which was causing real issues with my right knee (previously undamage/unaffected).  I got referred to the podiatry clinic by my GP and they made orthotic inserts for my shoes, on the NHS so free of charge.  Only problem with the NHS ones is that they may be purpose made for the specific shape and issues with my feet but they take no account of having to try to wear them in 'ordinary' shoes - they are thick and rather clumsy and I cant get most of my shoes on with them inside - I didnt want to start having special shoes made so I did a bit of shaving down and trimming.  They are still very space consuming so only fit in certain boots/shoes and I've had to buy a size larger to accommodate them but when wearing them, they do help to align my leg and put less stress on my right knee.  I wondered if I had paid privately if they would have been slimmer and more easy to wear in ordinary shoes however.

• Posted

It depends what you mean by ordinary shoes.  If that is what i would call a court shoe -  dressy sort of slip on you have no chance- possible a fairly heavy mocassin type. I tend to live in lace ups or sandals any way but one useful TIP for sandals when the orthotics slip out of the back - put some sticky velcro under the heel. The soft bit in the shoe and the prickly bit on the orthotic. Again i am talking about "sensible" sandals- the sort of Merrell ones you find in an outdoor  shop - not party sandals..Privately obtained orthotics are usually less chunky and better fitted.

• Posted

Good tip re the velcro Jomary, thanks.  By ordinary I meant every day 'sensible' shop bought shoes - my orthotic insoles wouldnt fit in even the most practical of my shoes - the sole thickness was the problem - it lifted the foot too high and there isnt room between sole and upper for both my foot (which is very slender by the way) and the insole.  I was told by the orthotics dept that I would have to have 'special' shoes made which had additional room between footbed and upper - and pay for them myself! Not a practical solution and not one I intended to pursue.  I cant wear high heels or non supportive shoes anyway due to the ankle/foot injury I sustained, so all my shoes are skechers, merrell, josef seibel etc., they dont fit in any of them.

• Posted

My husband got a prescrition from his dr for a prostetic place to make him a shoe to fit his needs, he is diabetic. They worked out great, this is his second year. With the prescrition, his insurance covered it. Just a thought, hoping it might help. Please keep me updated.

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.