Insomia feeling, shakey, racing thoughts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last night was day six I took celexa. Yesterday I had a pretty day. Before then I thought I was starting to improve some. I took my dose last night and slept from 10:30-4 then up till 5:30 with bad thoughts back asleep till 6:30. Is this normal sad

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicole 

Sounds totally normal the first few weeks is very early days and the side effects can be horrible it's the increase in anxiety! Tho it is suggested that if this happens it's a good sign the medication will work for you rem it takes 6-8 weeks to work! Try and stay positive I know it's hard I too have been there and at the moment I'm 6 weeks on cit 20mg and I'm having few bad days! Hoping this lifts! Big hugs.

Emz xx

• Posted

So you mind me asking what your taking it for? If it's depression, was that worse at first too? Just so sad and hate this. 
  • Posted

Oh ps i spoke to my gp when I was starting and he prescribed propranolol for the physical symptoms of anxiety it worked for me Hun some people get a benzo to help with the initial side effects x
    • Posted

I have xanax but I guess I'm so depressed im scared it will make me do something crazy. I can't take that because I have extremely low blood pressure 90/60
    • Posted

Ahh Nicole sounds like the side effects! Rem yor brain has a well worn path and your body is on defense it sees red and responds by the fight and flight symptoms eventually the it becomes less and less and your body knows these are just thoughts try and see it from as if you are above it all in a helicopter see what it's doing and breath Hun! It's so hard I totally understand but it's normal! Imagine a bell toll and te vibrations being felt so loud this is where you are now as time passes it gets lighter and lighter.

Big hugs we are all here together for this recovery xx

• Posted

Thank you! I'm trying to stay positive. Did it get worse each time you increased. I'm sensitive to meds. I am suppose to take 5mg for three weeks then 10 and I've only been taking 2.5 the last week. I'm scared to increase incase I get worse.
    • Posted

I started out with 20mg straight of and had horrendous side effects Hun but it's all part I them getting into your system please chat with your gp or councellour the fear is the anxiety there is always and element of fear with taking the meds also I rem it so well xx

You will get there Hun xx

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I think the side effects are starting to kick in.  Sleep problems, anxiety, racing thoughts and loads more.

Things often get worse before they get better unfortunately.  Recovery is getting through the side effects, then riding out the ups and downs next then you should start to feel the benefits.  It takes a long time and you're just at the beginning.  It often takes about 3-4 months to get through it all, but please don't panic about this time frame - some get better quicker.

You need lots of patience.  Don't try and hurry recovery along as it'll come to you in it's own time.  Don't up your dose thinking you aren't seeing any improvement as you'll just add to the side effects.  You need to ride through all this, expect many weird side effects, but I promise once through it all you'll begin to feel great.  All the side effects wear off eventually.  Just go with it all and give it time.  We've all been through this on this medicine.

Its so worth it in the end, as the benefits of this medicine is amazing once you get through it all.

Keep going - you're doing great.

K xx

• Posted

Kate are you taking it for depression and have bad thoughts in the beginning. My biological father committed suicide and so Ive had that in mind and keep seeing myself do something like that. I DO NOT want to die and the thoughts are driving me crazy. I feel it's worse in the morning when I wake up sad I've only been taking 2.5 the last week and I'm suppose to take 5 for three weeks. I guess im scared it will make it worse. I'm just praying the med isn't making it worse. I'm making an appt next week to see the dr.
    • Posted

Hi Nicole

I had severe depression and anxiety with bad thoughts for many years and took various anti depressants.  It wasn't until I started this medication that I got better.  I couldn't believe it!!  The depression, anxiety and even the thoughts all disappeared slowly and I've been well for some time now.  

Apparently bad thoughts are a symptom of depression and anxiety, and once they disappear, so do the thoughts.  When you're depressed, the mind becomes tired, and the thoughts stick to a tired mind, and the thoughts give you anxiety.  You get into a cycle of depression-anxiety-thoughts-depression-anxiety-thoughts etc ....... so when this medicine starts to lift your mood, the depression lifts, the anxiety eases and so do the thoughts.  Eventually the thoughts won't bother you at all.

The usual dose is 20mg and that's what I recovered on.  You can take up to 40mg I believe, but everyone is different.

I also used to feel at my worst in the mornings.  I think it was just waking up and realising I had yet another day to get through.

I'm sorry to hear of your fathers death, very hard to deal with.  Everyone is different with their illness, and we all have different stories which lead us to it, and you won't do the same.  Remember these thoughts are 'just thoughts', and they're just a symptom of your depression and are sticking because you're mind is tired.  They will go eventually and lose their importance.  I've been there .... 

This is a very scary illness and the most difficult thing I ever had to get through.  This medication WILL help you recover, I promise you.  It will be a rough ride, but you WILL get through this and out the other side.

Keep in touch, as everyone is here to support you through this.

My best wishes

K xx

• Posted

Thank you so much! I just pray so much to be better. I know God will help me through this, which is the 2nd time but the first time wasn't as bad and prozac helped it then but I had extreme side effects when I tried to restart it. 
    • Posted

You will get there.  And you know what, I even now feel strangely grateful for being ill as it's made me look on life now in a much more humble way.  I never want to be back there, but the experience has made who I am.

Remember, accept whatever you go through on this medication, however bad, and have lots of patience. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.