Insomnia??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started Prozac again  a little over a week ago (was on it for 6 years before last year). And I take it in the morning. It’s 3 am and im still awake. Is this normal?? 

0 likes, 159 replies

159 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tina

I could cope with all the side effects apart from insomnia so I know what you're going through. In the end I just used to get up and watch TV on the sofa rather than just lie in bed staring at the walls. Fortunately it eased after a couple of weeks but was terrible at the time.

• Posted

Hi Kirk. 1 month completed of Prozac and don’t feel too different yet. I can’t sleep decent. But bad anxiousness throughout the day and my appetite isn’t their. So my stomach is bleh. Hard for me to connect to meds. 
    • Posted

Exactly the same for me Tina .. did have a good run between week 4/5 then back to square one 😔. I didn’t have my flu yesterday and slept a lot better last night ... other than my husbands snoring! Xx

• Posted

How is your insomnia Tina? Any improvement?
    • Posted

Yes. / little better. I use 2 Xanax at night with lavender. I wake up and watch tv then go back to slee again. My extreme panic and chest pain and stomach issues are what’s the most annoyingly know. I left you another message about the second meds I’m goinf to take. You don’t need to take my advice at all but at least research it. Doxepin.  Did you get any sleep last night? 
  • Posted

Last night was pretty poor for me Tina but the night before was actually good and with less meds. I doubt my doctor will let me try anything else. She seems pretty fed up with me to be honest. I'll look it up tho'.

It sounds like you are improving even if only a bit at a time.

• Posted

I don’t feel like I’m improving I feel like the meds made me even worse! I was bad before but the Prozac made me s million times worse! Which was to be expected I also think I’m suffering from adrenal failure which is caused my stress and anxiety.  Well I have Kaiser which sucks. I’ve had to beg through every requests I have had so far! And my psych is retiring so I haven’t even SEEN him face to face since this whole episode started! I do everything through his assistant. So I wises up and asked to switch psychs. BUT I probably won’t get an actually apointment for a long time. Can you switch docs? Usually they are pretty open to adding meds. Again not telling you what to do. 

We will get through this even tho it’s terrible. 

• Posted

It's like the Dark Ages here Tina. I'll stick with this doc for now as to be honest the ones I see when she is not available are very dismissive. One said to just stop all my meds and "sorry if that seems harsh". Maybe it is time to go private ...

The Prozac is starting to reduce my stress and anxiety in the afternoons (day 18) but monings are grim and sleep still terrible. We will get there!

• Posted

I don’t know how health insurance is their in the UK but here doctors love to medicate you so I guess it’s a bit  easier.  But same as you very difficult for me to see a Doctor face to Face. I’m hoping you can get some answer or another med to help with insomnia- it can be terrible. Hoping you get more sleep tonight. 

IM adding my doxepin tonight. SO we’ll see. But so far I had to take 2 Xanax today just to calm my extreme anxiety and heart pounding down this morn. 

• Posted

Hope you slept better with the doxepin Tina. Please let us know how that went for you. My sleep was as awful as ever.
    • Posted

Hi Dom, 

I took prozac in the morning. Then a Xanax around 10 when I was at group therapy. Then took one more Xanax at 7 (cuz my anxiety is bad at night!). Then took my first doxepin last night at 9:30. I woke up at 8:30 am!!!! That’s like 10 hours! I tossed and turned a little bit nothing for me to complain about. I use to be on doxepin as you know so I knew it would help me sleep but I’m hoping it’ll help with the other stuff so I can feel like myself again. But I really hope maybe you can get it or something like it. 

How are you feeling? 

• Posted

Wow! 10 hours!? I can only dream of that much sleep Tina. Mine is still dire. I have a choice of Lorazepam, Diazepam, Zopiclone or OTC Antihistamine stuff. All pretty useless. My doc is in Thursday so if I am still the same I might go ask her. So glad you are getting some sleep. You'll soon be on the road to recovery with a few good nights behind you.

• Posted

YA lots of rest. Thank god. I’m hoping it will help with my crazy panic and my lack of energy. I’m suppose to go back to work soon and s not feel ready are all. 

Those meds you mentioned-didn’t the doc already prescribe those?  Did you have insomnia before Prozac? I know I slept fine until I started Prozac. We just have to keep at it. 

• Posted

No, before Prozac I slept like a baby smile

The Prozac has blocked my anxiety and panic pretty much, and I was hungry today. All good signs ... but ... the sleep ... urgh.

Yeah got them off the doc but she is despairing at giving me different meds as I always go back and say that they don't work smile

I may just try Melatonin tonight, at least that is the plan. So terrified of getting hooked on Diazepam but I think that helps me best for sleep.

• Posted

Nah you won’t gdf hooked. Once you start getting sleepy on your own you’ll slowly stop the pan. It’s true it’s easy to get jokes on them but when your mind and body feel better you just naturally stop. Hope you get some kind of sleep. And hopefully ask the doctor for doxepin! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.