Insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has anyone else suffered with not been able to sleep at all really for over a year due to anxiety and depression was diagnosed bout a year ago now and my sleep has not been the same since it's really starting to worry me now as everyone else on ere seems to recovered from insomnia within a few months and mine is just not getting better at all even tho the symptoms of depression ave improved loads anyone else's experiences Eudora be appreciated thx Michelle cx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I suffered the same thing on and off for 3 years. I had similar symptoms too, depression, stress, which of course lead to insomnia. Chronic insomnia to be precise.

What a lot of people don't realize is that after a month or so your body tries to adjust to having no sleep, making it even more difficult to sleep for a decent amount of time. This also starts to take it's toll on you, your physical appearance and the way you think. This makes any depression twice as bad.

Now then. Depending on what medication you are taking (if any?) this could be affecting your sleep. Drugs like citalopram for example. Question anything a doctor gives you and do your own research on it as everyone reacts different to drugs and what is a miracle cure for some may be useless to you.

My cure was working 7am till 3am Monday to Friday, having early nights so I give myself plenty of time to doze off and using medicinal cannabis to relax before bed time. It is vaporized, not smoked which removes 95% of chemicals caused by smoking. I simply inhale the vapor produced and after an hour im ready to sleep for 8 hours.

As I said, everyone is different and you must be willing to experiment a little if you want to kick this problem. Id advise you stay away from seeping pills though, they are a short term fix only and your body will become dependent on them until you build up an immunity and end up worse of than you originally were! I guarantee you if you don't do something about it, it will only get worse....

Good luck and take care.

• Posted

Hi lee thx for the reply I take sertraline and I'm also on zolpidem to try and help me sleep but I only get a few hours s nite and it only feels like a really lite sleep so not doin me any gud really and I agree with u it has really taken its toll on the way I look and think I ave really dark circles under my eyes and they r constantly stinging I hate it feels like I'm never goin to get a gud nites sleep ever again xx
    • Posted

Ok. So you are taking an antidepressant and a sleeping pill. Quite like I was taking in the earlier stages of my insomnia ( I was taking citalopram/zopiclone ). I don't know much about zolpidem aka ambien as it is the one sleeping medication I never tried, no reason just didnt come across it. I have however read about it and apparently it is only to be used for 10 days, 14 max the same as zopiclone. I had to stop taking that after a week as it began to give me horrific nightmares!

Either way the medication doesn't seem to suit you as you are still experiencing insomnia. I would return to your doctor to report this as it is pointless taking it if you aren't getting the desired effect. Sadly, more pills/medication isn't the answer I'm afraid.. What I will say though is you are getting some sleep and that is something, albiet very little. I would lay awake for several hours then start drifting in and out of sleep every 10/15 mins followed by staring at the ceiling for another 4/5 hours. Absolute torture.

It sounds to me like you are, like me, a very light sleeper and the depression etc is making it impossible for you to sleep for a long period of time. You are becoming more and more tired during the day as the problem persists, bearing in mind you must be asleep for roughly 4 hours before your body regenerates itself so to speak.

Do you excercise much? How is your diet? These things all come into it too. It wont happen overnight but if you eat well at the right times and tire yourself out during the day it can make it a lot easier to relax on a night. I go to work, go to the gym, eat a large healthy meal, shower and I'm dying for my bed now smile

Hang in there Michelle, you will beat it.

• Posted

Ye zolpidem is basically just the same as zopiclone it just didn't give me the horrible metallic taste that zopiclone did the next day I've been on them both but I've been on zolpidem for 5 months now, u sound so much like me I'm just the same I go to bed about 9ish and feel shattered and I feel like I'm half drifting off then boom wide awake again but I never really feel fully asleep and rested its horrible, I don't go to the gym but I get plenty of exercise and I work 12 hours a day 4 times a wk, my diet is good although I only manage 1 main meal a day the other is usually a lite snack, and I bath every day and look after myself so I don't get why I can't sleep šŸ˜” did u also suffer with the dark circles under ur eyes and do u sleep well now? xx
    • Posted

Working long hours can be an issue too if you are feeling tired at work and fighting it. I used to work till 11:30pm and I always got tired around 7pm. This meant due to keeping myself awake I wouldn't be ready for sleep when I got home.

I did get dark circles under my eyes and due to the problem going on for several years they haven't disappeared. I use under eye treatment gel and use sun beds twice a week which conceals it pretty well. Believe it or not if you have had a rough nights sleep and your eyes look dark and puffy, getting two damp teabags and placing them over your eyes while you lie down for 5/10 mins helps bring down any puffiness and seems to remove some or the darkness. Google it in case you think im crazy wink

I sleep brilliantly now. The last year has went rather well for me and I've gotten a job in which I work reasonable hours which don't affect my sleeping pattern so I have no worries and can comfortably go to bed when I want to.

One more thing. You mentioned you only have one main meal a day. Is this at night or during the day? In my experience if I don't eat enough on an evening I often feel less tired. I don't mean eat before bed or anything but I usually have 3 meals a day the last one being at around 6pm which leaves me full f i r the rest of the night.

If you need any more advice please don't be afraid to ask. I know all too well how much lack of sleep can ruin your day to day life and I am glad to help.

• Posted

Hi lee thx for ur support I really appreciate it it s so gud to hear that someone has been we're I am and come through the other end sorry for the late reply just done 2 12 hour shifts and it's right what u say I work 8am til 8pm and feel really tired in the afternoon bout 3 don't know if I wish be able to sleep thošŸ˜” Then when I get home don't feel tired, I really hope my dark circles don't stick around forever I hate em I'm def goin to try the tea bag thing later šŸ˜ŠIt's so gud to hear it does get better and I'm glad ur feeling better it gives me hope, as for the meals I'll ave toast in a morning the ill ave a mail meal bout 3ish when I'm not working then I'll just eat a snack for tea like yoghurt or banana s or crisps or chocolate.

Thx for ur support plz keep in touch any help is really appreciated x

• Posted

Hi, not a problem Michelle we all got to work smile

I would definitely say working those hours is having an impact on your sleep. 12 hours is a long shift, regardless of you getting an extra day or two off a week. I know I would struggle to get used to that routine.. Not many jobs let you choose your hours but if its that getting that bad then possibly talk to your boss about a little time off to see if this corrects your sleep, if it does then you know its the hours your working that is the problem.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, there are lots of products to help with dark circles. The last stuff I got was 15 pounds off Amazon and is pretty good. Don't stress yourself over it though, getting your sleep back is the more important thing.

You are going a long time without food Michelle, 7+ hours in fact Lol. Everyone is different and if this is enough for you then thats fine. However, maybe you could try incorporating some of the snacks in between breakfast and dinner, then try another meal on an evening when you get home? Its just a thought, but if you are feeling hungry on a night before bed this will most likely effect your sleep.

I have all the time in the world for someone suffering from chronic insomnia so write back anytime.

• Posted

Hi lee thx for replying I've been doin the 12 hour shifts for 4 years now and Neva had a problem with the most until a yr ago when all this started so I don't think that that's the problem, I wud appreciate any tips on the dark circles and if uv found anything that actually works to cover them up wud be great to hear about šŸ‘ŒAs for eating I don't really feel hungry like I used to so sometimes find it hard to eat x
  • Posted

Yes I am in menopause and yes i have suffered really badly with my sleep. I am mentally worn out physically worn out crying a lot up and down at nightĀ 

The E.R tried ambiem and that gave me problems with my breathing due to the fact that I have sleep apnea. Then i have been trying melatonin and i sleep then i am awake again feeling agitated crying because i can't get bact to sleep. Then i take baths and I listen to music and its just been bad with my sleep then I can't eat a lot of food been eating just crakers bread and a little bit of jellow Ā 

I am at my ends wits hereĀ 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth I'm 40 and I wondered if I was goin through the menopause myself but the docs say no they say it's depression and anxiety I ave not slept good in a year now I've tried melatonin but it didn't help me at all I wake after a few hours and know matter how hard I try I just cannot get bk to sleep I'm so exhausted with it all and am starting to look ill x
    • Posted

This is the way i feel tired sick and just not myself feel sick can't eat a lot of food either and nose bleeds again my right nostrilĀ 

Just feel sluggish and just not myself i cry a lot and i am at my ends wits melatonin puts me to sleep for a little while then I am up again durring the night crying feeling hot or cold and feeling depressedĀ 

I just can't take not getting a good nights sleepĀ 

Then the ER the gave me ambiem and that is not good to take when you have sleep apnea because i already have problem breathing and ambiem would make it worseĀ 

Ā 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth I know what ur goin through I don't know how much more of this I can take I look and feel terrible and it's all because I can't get a gud nites sleep I don't know where to turn x
  • Posted

I understand how you feel, for the last 3 yrs I have suffered with insomnia which is so bad I am awake for 4/5 days at a time with zero sleep,

I then pass out and when I come round it starts all over again, sleeping tablets have little or no effect ,I get so tired I hallucinate

so as a last resort my gp prescribed nitrazepam (mogadon),

they did work for a couple of days but the effects are wearing off so back to square one,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.