Insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I'm 45 and docs are trying to establish if I'm peri or post (had mirena coil in for 7 years, no periods - removed 3 months ago, still nothing) as well as hot flushes between 10-15 times per day, weight gain and restless legs, I'm really suffering from insomnia. If I don't take nytol and magnesium I just don't sleep. I work full time and often feel like a zombie- completely shattered. I go to the gp crying every so often and get a weeks' worth of sleeping tablets. Any advice anyone ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who suffers from insomnia - I am at my wits end 😢

• Posted

Hi i suffer with insomnia some nights im awake all night. Gp prescribed antidressant it did help slightly but i was not happy taking them. Next thing im going to try is hrt
  • Posted

I take it no-one else suffers from insomnia? I'll have to go to my gp as I thought it was wuite common.

• Posted

I've got terrible insomnia,it started at the same time as joint pain and anxiety in February this year.

I've tried all the herbal remedies and not really found anything that helped.

I take an occasional zopiclone or zolpidem but don't like to really as they're probably addictive.

I've been put on an antidepressant which has helped a bit but nothing's returned my sleep to how it used to be. Did this all start when you had your coil removed? Maybe it's related. I guess if it is then is it worth getting another coil?

I've recently started taking something from a herbalist, if it's helpful I'll let you know!

• Posted

Hi there,

Sounds very much like how I am feeling! My insomnia has been going on for about 2 years now - around the same time I started getting flushes. I've tried everything and am running out of ideas. It's particularly horrid having to go to work when I've only had a couple of hours - I've ended up sleeping in the spare room most nights as I have no chance of sleeping at all if my husband snores or I'm too hot, which is not helping as regards any romance !

• Posted

Sounds like it may be related to your coil ,-as far as I know they last for 5 years. Is it worth trying again ,or trying some hrt . 

If you can actually sleep talking magnesium or nytol I'd carry on it sounds as though you have found a solution.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I've been experiencing insomnia on and off this year too (I'm 46 and in peri menopause) and it's awful. My doctor didn't seem to think it was linked to the peri menopause, but I think it is. There was no other explanation for it. She gave me sleeping tablets (Felt like kissing her because I was so desperate lol). I'd had to take time off work because I felt wired to the moon through lack of sleep! Anyway, the sleeping tablets helped and I managed to get back into a "normal" sleeping pattern. Back to waking around five times a night with night sweats! Knowing I have sleeping tablets to hand helps too because I recognise the feeling that I'm not going to get to sleep now and on a couple of occasions I've just taken half and it's helped. I was back at the docs last week looking for help though and I've been referred to the menopause clinic at my local hospital. My hot flushes, night sweats and mood swings are just getting a bit too much and I've tried a few different herbal remedies with no success, so I'm looking forward to this appointment. I'm normally quite good at putting on a front that I'm okay, but just getting a bit fed up with it all now. I too have to have nights in the spare room to help me sleep and to give my husband a break from me huffing and puffing all night. Poor guy's life must be a misery too just now.

• Posted

Hi Rosemary,

Lack of sleep is so depressing isn't it ? The Dr has given me a week's worth of pills and the thought of a guaranteed week is just bliss, although I know it's a temporary measure. I'm also getting a bit overwhelmed with everything - just don't feel myself at all at the moment. I live in a house with 3 men (two grown up boys) so it's very isolating 😢

• Posted

It's the lack of sleep that gets me the most. I've not had kids so it's not something I've had put up with before so I'm not good at coping with it. Hopefully you've had a few nights good sleep now smile It really does make all the difference I think. You do feel like you're having to cope with it alone. No matter how many times I try to explain it to my husband he just doesn't get it. When he said he was feeling a bit hot in bed the other night I could have murdered him! Lol. Talking about it on here is good though smile I'm still waiting to here about this menopause clinic appointment. Wish they'd hurry up! For everyone around me's sake!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.