Insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies, nine months ago I weaned myself off h.r.t after eleven years, since coming off them I just cannot sleep. I have had sleeping pills off doctor and after a few weeks got side effects of depression, crying dizzy, irritable. So went to see him after I stopped tablets. He gave me anti depressants, which I am not taking because it was side effects, I am ok now. However I still cannot sleep, should I go back on my h.r.t? I was fine on them before.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Sosorry to hear that you have been having a tough time and now, to make matters worse, you cannot sleep. The first thing I would ask is what age are you? I have been taking HRT for 25 years and a few years ago, I found myself waking up after 5 am and not able to get back to sleep. I used to ask my husband to switch the radio on in the hope that I would drift off to sleep while being distracted by the chit chat on the radio....it did not necessarily work so I asked my doctor for sleeping tablets....he wrote a prescription and I was delighted until I opened the package to see a 7 night supply only. I can usually fall asleep but only sleep for a few hours...I used to be a great sleeper but think it may be age related..I am 67 now. Going back on HRT isn't likely to help sadly. Watch Dr. Michael Mossley's television programme about poor sleep..most interesting. One suggestion is eating Kiwi fruits. Stop worrying about your change in sleeping...keep a book beside your bed or a kindle, anything is better than tossing and turning and looking at the clock.

good luck. Please let us know how you are getting on. 

Best wishes,

Granny Rose.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear u not getting a long well i was on hrt it was fine then my doc sed i think u should come off them well all the things came but i went on but not so long a go i went back and asked to back on them she sed well look at your age 61 i sed all i wot now is a bit better life so she sed cut them in half and leave it on for the week as i am on patches it your life if u fell better do it good luck
    • Posted

Yes Pearl i do agree with you i went bk on HRT i am 63 but its quality of life thats counts x
  • Posted

I'd be avoiding the anti-depressants too, unless you really need tham. I can't profess to be an expert in hrt. But I do know that melatonin does a good job helping with sleep, it's better for you long term than things like Nitrazepam, Temazepam, Zolpidem or Zopiclone. The only potential problem is cost, I've been on melatonin I can vouch for its effectiveness... but as usual milage may vary!

With HRT, I actually find the oestrogen keeps me awake.. a bit bit like a stimulant.

• Posted

Melatonin....how many mugs do you take and do you take one nightly? Do you sleep all night long or do you find that waken early?  I have been given Zolpidem 10mgs and find that I awaken at 6am..not too bad really but unfair on my husband as I usually try to engage him in conversation! I see that Melatonin are on sale on EBay....do you recommend that I try them?
    • Posted

I'm not actually taking lots of medications, there are a few I have for asthma but that's about it. Over the years I've tried a number of the sleeping pills (all the ones I mentioned). As for hrt I'm only really taking the sandrena 1mg gel. Prior to that i was taking progynova, but wanted to move to something nicer to the liver.

I can't vouch for ebay sellers but I'll assume some of them are legit. Mine are prescribed by a doctor (psychiatrist) and I need to get them compounded. They come in bottles of 100 capsules, but, I'm in australia and don't know how readily available meletonin is over there. How i take it is one 5mg capsule about 40min before bed, still avoiding blue light.

If you can get it, I highly recommend it. Lol poor hubby, he needs his beauty sleep too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.