insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I am on my second stint of Citolapram.  I noticed I started losing sleep.  I don't remember if this happened last time or not.  Did anyone else go through this and how long did it last. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello brian if you have been taking citalopram for only 3 weeks then like most people you are going to get some side effects as your body adjusts.  the side effects of ssri's are usually related to:

appetite changes:  eating less, or more,   upset stomach etc

mood changes:  feeling worse for a while, feelings of aggression

sexual changes:  a loss of libido, or increase.  changes to orgasm etc

sleep changes:  sleeping more, or sleeping less

these types of side effects usually settle down/disappear after you are used to citalopram, which can take a month or so after either starting, or changing the dose.

so for yourself give it a bit longer and your sleep should settle to a more regular pattern

• Posted

Brian,

I have been experiencing the same issue. I was stable on Citalopram for 8 years or so, and decided I would try and go off of them, which went terribly and I have been trying to get stable on 40mg again, which was my dosage for many years. I had never had issues with sleep before, but after I messed around with my Citalopram dosage this time around, I started having awful insomnia. It got a little better after a couple weeks, but full of ups and downs. It's been almost a month now and I am still struggling with it. On a good night I will at least get 4-5 hours, but that's on a good night. Granted, I've also had to tinker with Xanax, Ambien, Belsomra, Trazadone.. Ugh. None have helped a whole lot, but a little bit. My anxiety has flared up here and there, too, which makes it even more difficult, so a tiny bit of Xanax can help ease my mind enough to fall asleep, but I use that very sparingly, due to its addictive nature. Trazadone made me really sleepy, but messes with my anxiety and blood pressure, seemingly. Ambien got me to sleep, but only for a couple hours and I basically felt like I blacked out rather than slept. Belsomra was awful and made me feel so horribly drowsy the next day.

I know I have seen several others across the internet and on this site say that Citalopram had messed with their sleeping, and I think it makes sense since SSRI's affect our seratonin levels, and thus our sleeping patterns. I think it just really takes a while for the brain to balance out with this sort of thing. Tell me some more details about your situation! What dosage are you on? Same as before? How long since the first time you were on it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.