Insomnia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello ladies

Such a reassuring relief to find this site.

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy almost 5wks ago but kept my ovaries. I am recovering ok I think, all though I completely underestimated how big an op it was. 

My main complication is insomnia I cannot get to sleep until 3 or 4 am !! I am exercising tried all herbal medications but none have helped, so have had to resort to sleeping tablets. Has or is anyone else experiencing this???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzie

I have had a tvh 12 wks ago and do suffer now and then with sleep but it's not conn e Ted to Surgery as I had it way before that.

Personally I wouldn't take sleeping pills as this doesn't help the situation at all really. You will not have quality sleep on them just a forced sort of relaxed state.

If first look at diet,caffeine and how late you are exercising as this won't help sleep late on in day. It may be your body needs time to recover and sort it's equilibrium.. I find chamomile tea at night is really good and lavender oil on pillow. I'm 50 just had tvh and anterior repair and kept ovaries. Natural healing is the way to go for me but everyone is different about health stuff and must do what you are drawn too.. I also found acupuncture really good too.xx

• Posted

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. 

I have tried all natural alternatives and like you think everthing is just out of balance. 

But acupunture is a good point and i will look into that as do not want to become reliant on sleeping pills. 

Thanks

• Posted

Good afternoon Suzie19,

Welcome.

Yes, I also experienced insomnia. I will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow.

My ovaries remained and I had a head start with Menopause in my late 40's.

I'm 55 now. 

I had to resort to sleeping tablets and that works well for me.

Please feel free to reach out again. If you can, speak with your GP and see

if they can send your pharmacy a prescription.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I already take sleeping pills way before the surgery. Stay strong 
    • Posted

Thanks for your replies ladies. 

I have been told that I can only be on the sleeping pills for 4 wks as they can be addictive.  I’m hoping they will get me back into a better sleeping pattern.  But if not can either of you recommend any others that are non addictive??

• Posted

I am two weeks out from my hysterectomy. I am so tired I sleep pretty sound. My belly is very sore and still quite swollen and what I am now referring to as a belly flap. Do you have the same issue? I hear it could last anywhere for 6 months to a year. 
  • Posted

Hi I had a total hysterectomy 6 weeks ago everything was taken out I am only sleeping 3to4 hours a day doctor won't give me sleeping tablets told me to relax and do things to relax but the menopause is making me anxious and hot flushes aren't helping so they started me on hrt with my consent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.