insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

so i suffer with bad anxiety and depression and have bad insomnia phases, I can go to bed and lay there for ages sometimes going to fall asleep then just suddenly waking up as i try to drift off. this is rare but i have had it. i can easily go all night then be awake all day because I either can't sleep due to anxiety or just can't nod off. i do  suffer with sleep paralysis as well. the insomnia has gotten bad recently i go pretty much most nights waking up after a few hours or every hour. The nights where I don't sleep can be me worrying that I won't sleep ever again or just thinking about not sleeping because I have to be up soon. I keep getting scared that I am loosing the ability to sleep and will get sfi the fatal insomnia where you can never sleep and then die. these past few nights last week I have woken up feeling and wondering if i hadn't slept or something. I have been prescribed mirtazapine 15mg and had for a few weeks but haven't took one each night and have been drinking alcohol with them. i haven't took one tonight as i am too anxious to take it. all I can think about is this sleepless disease and keep thinking I have got it, I am too anxious and worried to sleep right now and have a job interview later today and anxious about that. i am fed up of this insomnia and don't know how to talk about it but I have gone over 24 hours a few times this past few weeks and have been awake since 10am yesterday. (it is now 5am) I just feel too scared and anxious to sleep or take a tablet idk what to do?!! I feel like crying.

thanks for reading 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey Luke, sorry to hear about your troubles.

You don't have SFI.  Insomnia is a tough thing and every single person that struggles with it thinks at some point or another they have this terrible disease. Read the countless threads on this forum in which someone was absolutely positive they had SFI.  Nobody has ever come back and said they had that diagnosis confirmed.  You don't have it.

Do you take anything or do therapy with a professional for the depression and anxiety?  I would start there.  If you cool down the anxiety, the sleep will probably get better.  I definitely would not get into the habit of taking sleeping pills. 

I also wouldn't just get in the bed and lay there wide awake for hours. Go to bed when you are sleepy.  If that's tomorrow, then so be it.  Nobody ever fell asleep by "trying" and it's a mistake we insomnia sufferers all do by forcing ourselves to sleep.  You only make yourself more anxious. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. No I don't taje anything apart from take that medication I've already stated for my anxiety and depression. I have been told by the doctor that counselling will help but haven't started it yet. I will try and find a new hobby so hopefully that will help. I always manage to get sleep at some point but the fact that sometimes, the feeling of falling asleep can scare me and wake me up. Drifting in and out of sleep and having times where I just lay there and feeling like I haven't been to sleep even tho I clearly have. Does scare me. Been really bad recently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.