Insomnia; Adrenal Fatigue; Natural Sleep Aids

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.  I have had insomnia for the past 5 months, which is presumably due to a breathing condition I developed while I had the flu back in January.  I'm only getting about 5-6 hours of sleep a night.  I can fall asleep without too much problem; it is staying asleep that is difficult.  Once I wake up at 4:30-5:00 am, I can't get back to sleep.  I toss and turn until I finally have to get up.  I've been reading about cortisol levels on the Internet and it seems like people that wake up too early have their circadian cortisol levels shifted or too much cortisol is being produced at all times.  Since incurring my breathing problems, I suspect my body has shifted into fight or flight mode.  I just can't seem to break out of it.  I have tried a number of prescription sleep aids:  Mirtazapine (hated it, made me feel like hell every morning upon waking); Doxepin (made me nauseous); Risperidone (gave me akathisia).  I tried melatonin the other night and woke up with a headache (apparently that is a known side effect).  Does anyone have any insight into natural sleep supplements that ACTUALLY WORK???  My preference would be to find one that is melatonin-free as there are some risks associated with taking melatonin long term.  Nested Naturals makes a melatonin-free version of its Luna product.  Does anyone have any recommendations for natural sleep supplements that allow you to maintain your sleep throughout the night?  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd love to get that much sleep! I went 6 days awake the other week...

5-6 hrs is acceptable, 7-8 ideal, when you wake up you get a hormone called cortisol which is what wakes us up, this is the stress hormone... you get a big dose in the morning to kick you out of bed... it is also released from stress and anxiety

if you are waking early its a sign of anxiety and depression and stress, I recommend you look into mindfulness meditation (an app called headspace is great) and also 4-7-8 breathing which puts you in a very deep relaxed state for sleep...

But you need to do it daily and be consistant other than that you need to figure out the answers to why you are waking, so a bit of deep valuation required on your part, also keep a note book by the bed and if you do wake see if you can figure out why or what wakes you

• Posted

Hi.  Thanks for your reply.  I will take a look at these apps.  My insomnia has really kicked up a notch over the past few days.  I am now having difficulty initiating sleep.  I was on mirtazapine and later doxepin.  I have since discontinued both as I had difficulty dealing with the side effects, particularly mirtazapine.  I suspect that my issue is related to my breathing condition, which has caused me a lot of stress.  I have read about ashwagandha (sp??) herb as a possible supplement for reducing cortisol or shifting the release of cortisol.  Do you have any recommendations on supplements for initiating and/or maintaining sleep?  I tried melatonin a couple nights ago, and it just gave me a headache the following day.  Thx.  John
  • Posted

once you were on meds, natural sleep aids wont work
  • Posted

Insomnia my only enemy in my life for the past one year.  I am taking Clonazepam.5 and this is not working now.  Vivid dreams, headaches, tiredness all these have become my regular routines. Brain shrinkage is the main reason for me. Though I ;belong to South India I don't find any natural remedy for good sleep.  God only knows. I have lost to sleep though I have won in my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.